PLEASE advice middlethrottle tuning..

lassek

Feb 23, 2009
Sweden, Denmark is my native
Hi all.

I am in the process of finetuning my PJ 34 carb.

I settled for now with a #155 mainjet. No sputter or anything at full open throttle.. runs clean at WOT.

However.. the low/middlethrottle I want to tune.. But the problem is.. I dont know what is the "normal sound" is with this carb and theese mods when ex. 1/3-1/2 throttle..

This is me and my Blaster:

It maybe hard to hear but what do you think.. Try to see the start and when my buddy skates after me in the middle of the movie.. this is where i have 1/3 throttle i think.. is this sputter? or completly normal ? Its not clean IMO.

I would be happy if you would look at the movie and tell me your opinion and if yours is the same and whatnot?!

THIS IS BEFORE THE NEW CARB : PLEASE GO TO 2.22min in the movie.. notice how SMOOTH and CLEAN it runs with VERY little throttle

Is this possible with a big carb?

NOTE:

My pilotjet is #55 (i dont know if this is in the range of what people use or way to big or too small)

In the movie the needle clip is in the middle 3rd position.

I tried yesterday to move the clip UP to 2nd position. That actually got worse.. Then it has a hard time idling down and bog/cut-out when quickly nail the throttle from idle.. What does this mean ? (I had no success really with the airscrew).

Hope some have some good experienced advice..

Thanks guys

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah but lets assume I dident move the clip up yesterday.. and it is still in the 3rd position like in the movie..

I thought it was to rich??? sputter? midrange? 1/3-1/2 throttle ? ..

Should i try to move the clip one down so it is in 4th position??

i moved my needle to the 4th spost and it wasnt a good thing and ended up putting it back to the 3rd. kept fouling plugs....

Would'nt it be please advise middle throttle tuning and not please advice? :)

and i dont think its too rich but not 100% on the rest

Yeah but lets assume I dident move the clip up yesterday.. and it is still in the 3rd position like in the movie..

I thought it was to rich??? sputter? midrange? 1/3-1/2 throttle ? ..

Should i try to move the clip one down so it is in 4th position??

put in a smaler main jet and chech what it dose then move the clip to #4

i notice my quad in first gear sounds like a lil pop or pre igniton in the exhaust then it smooths out as u reach full throttle. 2nd 3rd gears doesnt have that much pre ignition because ur hauling ace and not puttin around, and mid it has good power but full throttle it sounds like ur winding the engine out and ur waiting for more power. 4th 5th and 6th seems to have better power through out. any suggestions?

i notice my quad in first gear sounds like a lil pop or pre igniton in the exhaust then it smooths out as u reach full throttle. 2nd 3rd gears doesnt have that much pre ignition because ur hauling ace and not puttin around, and mid it has good power but full throttle it sounds like ur winding the engine out and ur waiting for more power. 4th 5th and 6th seems to have better power through out. any suggestions?

Im sorry but i dont really understand the question? .. You mean you do full throttle and the engine revs but gets nowhere? thats properly because of that low gearing of yours! .. im runing 14t.. then it really wants to go forward.. I thought the 13t stock gearing was to low for the power the engine now delivers.. when i did full throttle.. mostly the power just got up in revs.. after gearing it wants to move!

Whats your setup with your Keihin? Mainjet, pilotjet, needleclip..

thanks

Last edited: