Play in clutch gear

Upbasher

Jan 15, 2015
Okay first time poster here. I just rebuilt my blaster engine top and bottom. I discovered that my clutch basket actually has some play in it on the gear. The gear will spin about a quarter to half an inch on the basket before grapping. Theres no slop in it it just spins some before grabbing. Is this something I need to worry about? Thanks

Okay first time poster here. I just rebuilt my blaster engine top and bottom. I discovered that my clutch basket actually has some play in it on the gear. The gear will spin about a quarter to half an inch on the basket before grapping. Theres no slop in it it just spins some before grabbing. Is this something I need to worry about? Thanks[/QUO

Oh nvm someone just posted this same question I see

First off welcome.. Do you mean the clutch basket and the driven gear attached to it? Meaning you can spin the basket back n forth and the gear stays in one spot ?

It seems to be a fairly common problem. How many are out there like this and still going???? The rivets are loosening and there are lil pads in-between that may be worn out. You can buy a new oem basket but the prices I find for them are more expensive than an aftermarket billet one which is much better. Hinson, Barnett, Wiseco, make them as well as one I have found on e bay to be the cheapest billet one (link bellow), you will need to drill out the rivets and use the driven gear on the new basket.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAGNUM-CLUT...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5b0a1fa7bc&vxp=mtr

So I should replace it.....? Or is it okay to run it like as is? Because looking at pics and videos about it make it look like the rivets aren't under any real stress and that its just the rubber bushings that are worn?

It looks to me like the rivets only hold that retaining plate on? Or am I thinking of this the wrong way?