Plastic repair

sporty982000

Jul 10, 2012
Illinois
I see people, using zip ties and string to fix broken plastic.

It not only looks ugly, but its just a poor way to fix a problem.

Last year, I bought a ATV plastic welder.

It works great, the plastic has held for over a year.

It does take a bit of finess to do a good job. Meaning the top surface can look less than steller, but the good thing, a few practices and you get the hang of it really quick.

atvwelder.png

DIRTBIKE ATV UTV FENDER REPAIR PLASTIC WELDER KIT | eBay

Not that cheap, but I think someone could get buy with a hobby r/c mini iron and some of the polyethene sticks.

Sporty

Last edited by a moderator:
That's cool! Have any pics of it used? I have tried to use a blow torch and hand feed but that didn't go over good.
We use this at work to repair storage tanks they are mostly HDPE or LDPE have to have a compressor however, but works great-there are two wattages depends on what type of plastic. I haven't tried it on atv plastics.

img_20110825_135436.jpg

I do.
Now, I did not do the best job and the kids waxing, seemed to not be able to get the wax out.

These cracks were long and horrible and had gone 4 years without any type of repair. Infact the whole fender was cracked in 1/2 along the seem. and it has held up.
Like I say, ugly, but this fender was totally shot ! and it works and hold.

100_2332.jpg

100_2333.jpg

100_2334.jpg

100_2335.jpg

100_2336.jpg

The initial instructions said to do both sides. but I did some just on the bottom and they have held also and look better on the outside.

I moved to slow when filling. you can sand it all off (the extra) I did not. I should have.

Sporty

Looks pretty good. :D To be honest, when I had my Blaster I took most of the plastics off and just drove it like that.

wete mistake I made, was I was angling the iron, instead of strait up and down, so itsa much bigger mess than what was needed.

The better ones, I didnt get a picture off. Id have to take the fender off to show them.