Piston Slap Help

I second scotj77 and remember having similar issues. I dealt with it by purchasing an in expensive bore gauge from harbor freight and a cheap digital mic.I found my bore to be out in excess of 1mm. this was after i wasted a perfectly good piston that came with the atv when i bought it. who ever hones or bores it should check for the allowable tolerances. each manufacture will include a piece of paper that will say what they are. also make sure u do a leak down test after assembling a top end.

I second scotj77 and remember having similar issues. I dealt with it by purchasing an in expensive bore gauge from harbor freight and a cheap digital mic.I found my bore to be out in excess of 1mm. this was after i wasted a perfectly good piston that came with the atv when i bought it. who ever hones or bores it should check for the allowable tolerances. each manufacture will include a piece of paper that will say what they are. also make sure u do a leak down test after assembling a top end.

I agree with everything you said also.

Dude please listen to me. it will save you time and heartache, and an empty wallet. get the cylinder measured before ordering the piton. you could get lucky by ordering the next size up but it's not worth the risk of getting the wrong size. How do you know for sure it was on the stock bore besides the guy who sold it to ya sayin that. lol people lie

I agree with everything you said also.

Dude please listen to me. it will save you time and heartache, and an empty wallet. get the cylinder measured before ordering the piton. you could get lucky by ordering the next size up but it's not worth the risk of getting the wrong size. How do you know for sure it was on the stock bore besides the guy who sold it to ya sayin that. lol people lie

I will do that asap im gonna upload a video of me showing you guys the connecting rod there is only minute play from side to side no up and down play at all so that saves me a bottom end

That side play looks a little more than 0.04 in or 1mm to me.

When you moved the top of the rod side to side it looked like it was moving about 1/4 in.

It was hard to see if the bottom of the rod was moving as well, which would accentuate it (s**t what a word) and make it seem to have too much movement.

Try holding the bottom of the rod to one side of the crank and repeat the test.
If it still moves more than 0.04in or 1mm (which aint much) consider your options.

Last edited:
I been through plenty of blaster cranks and that crank is perfectly fine. go measure that bore and see what size piston you need to get. don't use those paper base gaskets they suck. literally they will suck into the motor. lol order an oem base gasket. worth every penny. bikebandit.com or cheapcycleparts.com are good places to find one. if you took the head off you should get a new head gasket too. but you don't have to if you have a torch you can heat it up and use it one more time. keep me updated

I been through plenty of blaster cranks and that crank is perfectly fine. go measure that bore and see what size piston you need to get. don't use those paper base gaskets they suck. literally they will suck into the motor. lol order an oem base gasket. worth every penny. bikebandit.com or cheapcycleparts.com are good places to find one. if you took the head off you should get a new head gasket too. but you don't have to if you have a torch you can heat it up and use it one more time. keep me updated

Ok thanks bro im gonna go get it measured to see what size i need to get it bored to then order that piston

looks like these guys got you right on this. if you need any help though i might be able to come to you. i dont get on here and check through the threads much, but if you need anything shoot me a PM.

Am I reading the manual wrong, is the measurement "F" on the diagram the rod tip deflection or the bearing side float measurement.

Either way there seemed to be a little too much slack with the rod for my liking. But there again I am really fussy when it comes to repairing anything, I like it to be right.

Save yourself some trauma and go with a new head gasket, it may save you problems in the future.