Piston Rings mix and match?

slickerthanyou

Dec 23, 2009
Just when you thought ya new everything about blasters!

A question came to me about using weisco rings or stock yamaha rings on a proX piston.

Sooooooo, I did some research and called a few different companies, Weisco and La sleeve found out some information that may help some others, That I didn't know-

Weisco rings- should only be used with weisco piston period, both confirmed by Nick at La Sleeve and Ron at Weisco themselves.

Stock yamaha rings or ProX rings- can be used for stock or proX pistons as they are both manufactured by the same company to the same tolerances in Japan. Also confirmed by La Sleeve and Weisco direct distributers of ProX.

Let me add just make sure you order the correct size!
:)

Last edited:
Reactions: blasterfreek30
Honestly, I would of thought you could use any rings as long as you had the correct size, I was wrong.

Good info Slick.

Wiseco uses rings where the ring site "over" a half depth pin so that the ring looks solid all the way around when viewed from the outside (against the sleeve).

ART (the manufacturer cited in Japan) uses a "keystone" style ring that has a full depth pin and the ring sits "on top". The result is a pin and "half round" around the top of the pin when viewed from the outside (against the sleeve).

Both designs work well but they are certainly not interchangable.

Good lookin' out Slick!

Just when you thought ya new everything about blasters!

A question came to me about using weisco rings or stock yamaha rings on a proX piston.

Sooooooo, I did some research and called a few different companies, Weisco and La sleeve found out some information that may help some others, That I didn't know-

Weisco rings- should only be used with weisco piston period, both confirmed by Nick at La Sleeve and Ron at Weisco themselves.

Stock yamaha rings or ProX rings- can be used for stock or proX pistons as they are both manufactured by the same company to the same tolerances in Japan. Also confirmed by La Sleeve and Weisco direct distributers of ProX.

Let me add just make sure you order the correct size!
:)

EXCELLENT INFO!

I would like to add that the stock oem rings,proX rings,WSM rings,and the Namura rings are all interchangeable!
WSM uses quality japanese RIK rings,and Namura I "Believe" uses japanese rings that are re-packaged,although the box says " produced in taiwan".

EXCELLENT INFO!

I would like to add that the stock oem rings,proX rings,WSM rings,and the Namura rings are all interchangeable!
WSM uses quality japanese RIK rings,and Namura I "Believe" uses japanese rings that are re-packaged,although the box says " produced in taiwan".

Great addition! Thanks!

Hey Slick, as the person who you researched this question for i would just like to thank you for ALL your help! i thought rings where rings so u have basically saved my topend before it was even built!!!I:I Rep from across the Atlantic Brutha!

Reactions: slickerthanyou
Hey Slick, as the person who you researched this question for i would just like to thank you for ALL your help! i thought rings where rings so u have basically saved my topend before it was even built!!!I:I Rep from across the Atlantic Brutha!

I too learned something! All good!I:I