Piston help!

akj8909

May 3, 2014
So went and bought a namura piston kit for my blaster. My bore was still within spec and did not have to be bored out so I asked for just a standard bore piston. I went home and started to install the piston. Well I got the piston to go halfway in the cylinder and it will not go any farther. I checked the box of the piston and it says .020 on it. So is this piston too big?? I have tried a block of wood and a hammer and I cannot for the life of me get the cylinder to slide down over the rest of the piston. HELP!!! Trails just opened up where I am and I want to ride!

ahhh i dont know if you got the right size without measuring it first? but check to see if you put the piston in correctly..the arrow points towards exhaust and the two intake ports face the carb, are you lining up the rings correct with the pins on piston.?also if it came with the blue/green base gasket you should get a oem or cometic one.

Were you seriously trying to beat the piston in with a block of wood an a hammer? If you ordered a stock bore size an got a.020 piston dont that scream at you, stock bore is 66mm .020 over is 66.50, its never gonna fit. An if you did beat on it with wood an hammer, good luck with buying another piston an now having it bored out

Were you seriously trying to beat the piston in with a block of wood an a hammer?

120ldoz.jpg

Put the piston in a vice and use a sander to sand down the piston until it fits.. No need for the rings.. Don't need to tighten the nuts either..:rolleyes: (JOKING)

For real man, a hammer???

You should take it all back apart, take the cylinder somewhere to get it bored and matched to a new piston that's the correct size. I'd be very Leary about putting in a cast piston that took some hammer blows.

Better check out your crank too if you were hammering on the piston attached to it.

If something doesn't fit, its better to figure out why than to try to make it fit.....Kinda Like the square peg in a round hole saying.

Reactions: HACK
Who checked your cylinder for out of round and taper and size? Somebody you trust who knows what they're doin I hope. My girl took mine to a shop around here, with a copy of the spec page from the manual, and they told her it was stock and in great shape, just could use a hone. I found some digital calipers and stuck on it and it was 66.3mm, they lost my business!

So is this piston too big?? . HELP!!! Trails just opened up where I am and I want to ride!
The mind boggles!!!

Pistons are things you cannot just smack in with a hammer.

You should now have the cylinder checked for stress cracks.

Throw the piston in the trash or invert it and use it for an ashtray.

Do you have any dealings with RAG Engineering.

I fear that riding will just have to wait just a little longer.!!!

The best way to get that in would be to get your oxy torch out and heat the cylinder till it is just about red hot. After soaking the piston in ice cold water for exactly 28 mins. Then carfully put the piston it. It should slide in with ease. No need to use a hammer

Reactions: motoman159
We are possibly needlessly giving this guy stick for no good reason, he may not understand to fine details of rebuilding an engine.

May I recommend that next time you have any concern about re building practices, that you start a thread on help before reaching for the hammer.

There is a wealth of information and help available here, one only has to ask.

Reactions: 98blaster and HACK
Installation seizure :cool:

Okay, I'll stop now. You should have a specification that lists the required piston clearance that comes with the piston. Any shop of average or better quality should be able to do the job. Rather than taking it into your own hands, I'd recommend that you take it to them or read up on how to do it.

Your piston isn't the same width at the bottom as it is at the top. It's also a different thickness from left to right as it is from front to rear. There is definitely a procedure to follow, so you might want to take measures to ensure that your cylinder and piston is fine after the impact fitment.

John Tice over at E2S does this for a living (or did) and he posts regularly about topics such as these. Might want to take a look at his post history and learn a bit before proceeding. As for a hammer, the only time that I use a hammer is when I tap on screws that I'm about to loosen, when loosening the flywheel nut (need an impact...), and when I have to puncture a depleted aerosol can before it goes in the fire. Occasionally, the Banshee heads need a star pattern of light tapping to get an aftermarket head on down, but even then, it can be done with less force than that.

Last edited:
Basically cast piston is .002, forged is .003. Rm250 I just did was .0023.
Pistons used to be round and straight, now they are actually tapered oval to better allow for expansion. Measure a new Wiesco.

OP, post back, NO ONE on here can say they have never made a mistake.

Reactions: HACK