piston destroyed

Amen

Pitboss, is correct. My opinion would be to disregard cyphertext69's post. My exper. is similar to Pitboss. The design of the piston will more often than not chuck the exhaust side skirt. When sh*t comes loose in there in can and will go anywhere. If it gets pinned by the turning it will punch a hole in the case, or worse, make a small leak. So if you follow his advise and have a small crack, it will suck oil, smoke, but run. You will then spend time and money searching for an issue and only when you split the case will you know.

You smoke a piston, you take it apart inspect ALL the pieces and reassemble the good ones and replace the bad ones.

A

Hey oldfart, I'll be in your neck of the woods tomarrow. I'm heading to Fayetteville to see my son. I spent some time in Raleigh visiting relatives.

I couldn't DISAGREE with you more. A shredded piston like this has ground up tiny pieces of piston, some as small as sand particles. These pieces can and will work their way into the trench that the crank rotates in, thus causing bearing and or seal damage. Not to mention your case halves getting cracked from the crank hitting one of these pieces and driving it thru them. And this clearance issue is typical on the exhaust side.

The only correct way to be sure that there isn;t an underlying problem is to splitt the cases and inspect.

I have two quads that are the exact opposite. Both of mine broke on the intake side and the pieces in the bottom looked very similar.

As for splitting the cases: I rinsed my cases out completely with 2 quarts of oil and 2 cans of compressed air, never had any issues out of either one.

You're probably right about splitting the cases, I just heard different things from reputable shops. It's never bad to be overly cautious.

It's all good

I don't want to sh*t on your biscuit. Just I have gone through what amounts to 8 motors over the last few months to piece together 3 good ones. All were damaged on the exhaust side. I can go on with all the others I have worked on and all the other crap. Then we could get into Pitboss's exper. which is more than mine.

And it ain't nothin' but words.

Take your time, read up on the 2 stroke. Ask questions.

On the lost third tablet, the 11th commandment was the 2 stroke piston shall fail on the exhaust side....

Think about where the heat is...

The air/fuel comes into the intake cooling that side, which is thicker. Then it's get's pressure and heat and goes out the thinner exhaust side.

Not saying the intake side can't take a crap, but maybe 1 of a 100 die that way, it's almost always a wear/heat issue.

If you had two, I'd look for a common cause, it's that rare.

A

Been thinkin'....

Perhaps my position is not only based on exper., but, so much so, you don't get my position.

See the thread about piston wear.

A

I don't want to sh*t on your biscuit. Just I have gone through what amounts to 8 motors over the last few months to piece together 3 good ones. All were damaged on the exhaust side. I can go on with all the others I have worked on and all the other crap. Then we could get into Pitboss's exper. which is more than mine.

And it ain't nothin' but words.

Take your time, read up on the 2 stroke. Ask questions.

On the lost third tablet, the 11th commandment was the 2 stroke piston shall fail on the exhaust side....

Think about where the heat is...

The air/fuel comes into the intake cooling that side, which is thicker. Then it's get's pressure and heat and goes out the thinner exhaust side.

Not saying the intake side can't take a crap, but maybe 1 of a 100 die that way, it's almost always a wear/heat issue.

If you had two, I'd look for a common cause, it's that rare.

A

Ok, I can handle that...maybe it's because the quads were leaned out too much. I know that one of them ran with the choke on for a while then finally gave out on the intake side. The other, I had just bought and knew nothing about it, rode it for about 20 min and it seized on me.

Do you by chance have any good cases for sale?