piston destroyed

E

etant333

ok so i went to start my blaster after my buddy was riding it and says he heard nothing abnormal, and its locked up so i start to taking it apart finding that one side of the bottom half of the piston is just gone. theres pieces of it all in the bottom end. what would cause this to happen?

too much cylinder walls to piston clearance (too much use so piston slapping occure and then the piston gose boom !!!,now you need to split the case open to clean evrething and while you are at it changr the crank bearing and seal!!!

yeah ill post a pic today. why would the jets have something to do with it

piston.jpg

there seems to be heat marks on the crank. im thinking about just getting a 3mm stroker kit and be done with it

there seems to be heat marks on the crank. im thinking about just getting a 3mm stroker kit and be done with it

ok first of all its not a jet probleme , you probleme is piston slapping due too too much clearance in between,the piston and cylinder wall,and second ;heat mark on the crank rod is normal all brand new crank have this so dont worried!!!

There will always be heat marks on the crank. Take the out and see how the balance is. Definetly replace the mains and seals, INSPECT very carefully for the case halves to be cracked and if so, weld them. Bore to the proper size and you're good to go.

well since i am taking it apart anyways, will the stroker kit make that much of a difference in power?

Hold up...before you do anything!!!!!!!!

This has happened to me on two separate quads. The crankcase where the pieces of the piston fall into are sealed off from the rest of the engine....All you need to do it flush it out with carb cleaner or something like that. The crank fits so well into that area, there shouldn't be any reason that metal shavings or pieces fall into the area below the crankshaft. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SPLIT THE CASES!!!!

Generally this happens to the INTAKE side of the piston, not the exhaust side. This does occur when you have too much slapping of the piston inside of the cylinder walls and will occur to every piston. This is very common, don't worry. It's an expensive fix, approx $225 if you have it done through Vito's Peroformance.

refer to this thread for my experience:
http://www.blasterforum.com/engine/1011-shredded-piston.html
Please note: I haven't had any issues with Vito's Pistons since I've installed the FORGED one.
Some people may or may not like Vito's Pistons but here is my write up about Vito's:
http://www.blasterforum.com/engine/1110-vitos-performance-products-mis-informing-information.html

Here is a breakdown of the costs:

Blaster Forged Superstock Piston kit: $139.95
Machine Shop Services to bore cylinder: $60
Shipping back and forth of your JUG and misc parts: $40 (you can save some money and send it USPS in a flat rate box)
Riding your quad around for hours and getting dirty: Priceless
Total: $239.95 +tax

I hope this helps.

um well mines on the exhuast side just like everyone else has stated. and i figgere since its already this far apart i might as well do the stroker kit cause i want to upgrade and ive got the money for that but not for the 240 so i think ill just do the stroker now and then ill make sure everything is cleaned out

Hold up...before you do anything!!!!!!!!

This has happened to me on two separate quads. The crankcase where the pieces of the piston fall into are sealed off from the rest of the engine....All you need to do it flush it out with carb cleaner or something like that. The crank fits so well into that area, there shouldn't be any reason that metal shavings or pieces fall into the area below the crankshaft. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SPLIT THE CASES!!!!

Generally this happens to the INTAKE side of the piston, not the exhaust side. This does occur when you have too much slapping of the piston inside of the cylinder walls and will occur to every piston. This is very common, don't worry. It's an expensive fix, approx $225 if you have it done through Vito's Peroformance.

refer to this thread for my experience:
http://www.blasterforum.com/engine/1011-shredded-piston.html
Please note: I haven't had any issues with Vito's Pistons since I've installed the FORGED one.
Some people may or may not like Vito's Pistons but here is my write up about Vito's:
http://www.blasterforum.com/engine/1110-vitos-performance-products-mis-informing-information.html

Here is a breakdown of the costs:

Blaster Forged Superstock Piston kit: $139.95
Machine Shop Services to bore cylinder: $60
Shipping back and forth of your JUG and misc parts: $40 (you can save some money and send it USPS in a flat rate box)
Riding your quad around for hours and getting dirty: Priceless
Total: $239.95 +tax

I hope this helps.

I couldn't DISAGREE with you more. A shredded piston like this has ground up tiny pieces of piston, some as small as sand particles. These pieces can and will work their way into the trench that the crank rotates in, thus causing bearing and or seal damage. Not to mention your case halves getting cracked from the crank hitting one of these pieces and driving it thru them. And this clearance issue is typical on the exhaust side.

The only correct way to be sure that there isn;t an underlying problem is to splitt the cases and inspect.