Piston Chipped

Michaelm10

Aug 24, 2015
Plant City, FL
i was torquing my clutch nut and letting the piston catch on the case and a little piece chipped off of the bottom. would that effect how the motor runs?

Hhhmmmmmmmmmm

How could the piston "catch" on the case if the cyl was on?
No matter, it can now hang on your wall of shame.
The stress risers that may have been caused from the chip will lead to the piston disintergrating into about a million pieces, give or take a couple thou.

Get the cylinder measured for out of round/taper, probably will need a bore job.

Reactions: MURPH
Hell... its only a tiny piece. Uh...ok.
Easy there Joe. Lol. I think I read in one of his other posts that this is a 16 yr old kid, who's learning to do this stuff on his own. He screwed up, pretty sure he knows that now, so let's help him fix it.

Get a new piston. Make sure you haven't damaged the case, or the rod, bearings etc. I hope you don't need a bottom end rebuild, but it's what I would do, just for peace of mind. If any micro pieces of that piston got down in there... It won't be good!

Ok ...that's cool...

Michaelm10, can you post a picture of the chip? It would be worth taking the jug off to get the photo. Yoy'll need a new base gasket though. When it chipped, where did the small piece that broke off go?

image.jpg This is compared to an old countershaft nut

Easy there Joe. Lol. I think I read in one of his other posts that this is a 16 yr old kid, who's learning to do this stuff on his own. He screwed up, pretty sure he knows that now, so let's help him fix it.

Get a new piston. Make sure you haven't damaged the case, or the rod, bearings etc. I hope you don't need a bottom end rebuild, but it's what I would do, just for peace of mind. If any micro pieces of that piston got down in there... It won't be good!
Thanks man

you came to the right place for advice good job:)
i know you want the approval to run it/and that is why you asked.
BUT it will cost you or whoever more money in the long run...
cheaper to do it right the first time....Or you will lose money.wait get loot fix it right:D

Reactions: Michaelm10
On seeing the squareness of the chip, I would not use the piston.

The square ness of the edge could mean the piston could have a hairline crack.

Amen Blaaster! 90 degree angles in any material = stress risers.

If its a tiny chip, and I mean something like 1 - 2 mm, I would dress it with a file after close examination.

I need help! I have a 200 yamaha blaster bored over 70. I need to know what gas ratio i need to mix my gas at! PLEASE HELP!!!