pilot jet

fzr800

Feb 16, 2012
i have a stock 88 blaster with a 240 main and a 32.5 pilot jet.just got the wheeler and its cold out 20-30,it wont idle and has a miss when u hit the throttle,wont idle down real fast either.will a bigger pilot help this problem?what could b wrong otherwise?

A 240 main would suggest you've got the stock pipe, stock carb & the airbox lid on......correct? 32.5 pilot is correct

Not coming back down to idle suggests you've got an airleak, so I'd do a leakdown test first if I were you.

Other than that, start with the basics:

fresh gas mixed 32:1
clean carb
fresh plug
clean & oil airfilter
disconnect TORS

yes stock everything,tors is gone,new plug,reed gasket,and crank seals.also it has fresh mix gas at 32.1 and oil pump disconnected

yes stock everything,tors is gone,new plug,reed gasket,and crank seals.also it has fresh mix gas at 32.1 and oil pump disconnected

Sounds like you're in good shape then. Did you do a leakdown test after the crank seals and reed gasket install?

no i didnt.y does it run bad then?just plain runs crappy

Yes, an air leak will cause it to run like crap and it's the #1 killer of top ends. Hanging revs is a clear indication of an air leak.

leak test it and then report back.

these are notorious for leaking at the reed cage gaskets as well.

nipple is plugged and i sprayed carb clean around carb and boot area with it running and it didnt indicate a leak,but what do u seal the reed gasket with?

nipple is plugged and i sprayed carb clean around carb and boot area with it running and it didnt indicate a leak,but what do u seal the reed gasket with?

I used copper rtv- you can use yamabond too!

Then leak test it! Could have a crank seal leak which spraying carb cleaner isn't going to find.

14mqc1y.jpg

Brandonz hit it...whip off the reeds, and use some RTV silicont and glue that sucker down. They ALWAYS leak there.

But it is very NB to do a leak test