Painting rims

Josh_bodine

Oct 22, 2013
Indiana
Is there any guides on here that give the best ultimate way to paint your rims? I'd like to paint mine flat black but I'd like to know what people think is the best way for preparation. Thanks in advance!

Sand the old paint to a dull finish,clean very well, paint in multi thin layers,follow instructions on paint can for drying between coats.

ive sprayed rims and basically i just took my time and sanded the rims down until it was nice and smooth, then cleaned it up well with mentholated spirits to get all the dust off then waited until it dried off then you can start your painting. i got good results doing that.

This is one of my rims after being painted
2zi6czq.jpg

Looks good! I'll probably give this a try next weekend if I get a chance!

yeah im doing my rims soon on my new blaster but its very cold here so don't think ill get them done to near the warmer months, if you spray in cold conditions the paint wont have a good grab on the metal and it will form a texture called ' orange peel ', its when then paint all shrivels up after its been sprayed, its not good a good sight at all.

check out my thread http://www.blasterforum.com/full-rebuilds-128/89-blaster-long-time-coming-56770/. I used masking tape and packing plastic to wrap mine. it was way faster than trying to use papers. I took everything down to bare metal, used a pre paint cleaner from auto zone and did 2 coats primer and then 3 cots black and about 3 coasts of a flat clear coat. i didn't do any sanding between coats but it came out pretty good what what I needed

^^^^agreed Sam. I did it the same way and after a few days at the track and about 10 rides in the mud mine has no flakes or scratches. I used krylon paint and primer in one and sanded the rims

It is perfectly ok to spray in cooler climates as long as the paint is of the correct viscosity.

Warming the item to be sprayed will help to hold the paint by accelerating solvent evaporation.

The reasons for orange peel finish is usually uncleanliness, or laying the paint on too thick.

Metholated spirit is not a great choice for clean up, the surface should be washed with water and then wiped with a prepping solvent. A tack rag should then be used to remove traces of remaining dust.

Rubbing down between coats is recommended to make a key for the next coat, unless you use the wet on wet method.

The golden rules when painting are, preparation, preparation, preparation and using just enough coats to arrive at the final colour.

One full coverage coat of clear is ample.

Pouring on extra paint only leads to problems with chipping.

Extra clear coats only give depth to the colour and make for a better gloss shine.