Painting Please Help!

TJsBlaster

Mar 14, 2008
So I took my blaster down to the frame I plan on getting the frame , bumper , and grab bar painted red. I also wanna get my a arms and my swingarm painted blue . Since my plastics are blue and white it will be a red whiteand blue look . So I have a few questions I wanna do this right so should I get it sand blasted ? And what do u do about paint getting in the screw holes . And last how many coats a lot , a little ? Any help throw it out !!! Thanx in advance!

You could get it sand blasted it would deff be clean. But you can do the same thing with a wire wheel and some sandpaper/steel wool Just make sure you start with a nice clean surface so the paint sticks. What kinda paint you gonna use? You could always get them powder-coated too. I believe someone on here does that as a service.

you can also use some paint remover called "airplane" ???? some guys on here swear by it, you can get it at autozone or advanced, it has an airplane on the can?? but sanding it down smooth will work too, but sucks to do, alot of work, and i used duplicolor paint from advanced, and did 2 coats of primer to fill in some imperfections, then 4 coats of the duplicolor "red metal speck" then 4 coats of a good clearcoat, but it only lasted one season, chipped up, and wore on the side frame where my booys rub, but i ride hard in some ruff stuff

ok thanx for the help guys ! what did you do about paint getting in the holes for the bolts etc. ? And im probally going to get my dads friend to do it because he works at an auto shop with great equipment

The name is Aircraft Stripper. You can use it in a spray can or brush it on. I would hang the frame up and before you go to bed brush/spray it on. In the morning use compressed air with an air blower and blow the paint right off. Use a wire wheel on a drill and get the corners and crevises. If you're painting over bare metal get yourself some etch primer in a spray can (any decent auto parts sore has it), your paint'll stick alot better if you're gonna use spray bomb or auto paint.

i had a shop sandblast mine and prime it for me that way all i had to do was wipe it down with some degreaser, go over it with a tack rag and start spraying, i tried using the airplane stripper on some of the smaller parts but it was a huge pain in the ass and made a big mess also love the huge warning on the can that it does cause cancer and to use in well ventilated area. i called around and found a small shop that did it all for me for around $75 definately worth the price

you dont even need to sand it to bare metal... just get some diff grades of paper.. and where ever there is chips start sanding tell its smooth... than just scuff the rest of it, and clean it with a degreaser... and wipe it down good..

use a expoy primer.. that will bite into the surface good, than use duplicolor engine enamal... i say engine enamal cos its gas and oil resistant, so spilling gas wont hurt your paint, and clear it with engine enamal clear... engine enamal will hold up good to

you dont even need to sand it to bare metal... just get some diff grades of paper.. and where ever there is chips start sanding tell its smooth... than just scuff the rest of it, and clean it with a degreaser... and wipe it down good..

use a expoy primer.. that will bite into the surface good, than use duplicolor engine enamal... i say engine enamal cos its gas and oil resistant, so spilling gas wont hurt your paint, and clear it with engine enamal clear... engine enamal will hold up good to

yea mine was slightly past the point of giving it a good scuff :)

Well the stripper isnt the cleanest thing to use but effective. A mess is what you make it. Wont die from cancer from one frame, plus if it's hanging up in your garage while you're sleeping. You want it to last take it to bare metal. There's a reason when a car is restored it is stripped to bare metal, to guarantee there are no surprises and have great adhesion. This makes it easier to inspect for cracks and bad rust. Sandblasting is your best bet though. And you can' beat powdercoat. It depends on your budget. Every frame I've done has been down to bare metal first. I've been an automotive painter since 1997, and have helped restore more cars then I can count.

didn't actually think you would get cancer from using it on one frame just wanted to emphasize that the stripper is bit on the nasty side. i really wanted to powder coat mine but the cheapest place i could find still wanted 450 just for the frame and that was pre stripped they wanted more to strip it themselves

Thanks guys i think ill probably get it blasted based on what you guys said . Now as far as powdercoating goes , ive heard that it chips and that you cant get metallic is that true? Also how much more expensive is it ? If you tell me its way better and that its only 50 bucks more maybe ill do it . Thanks in advance and DAMN i love this forum ! :p

didn't actually think you would get cancer from using it on one frame just wanted to emphasize that the stripper is bit on the nasty side. i really wanted to powder coat mine but the cheapest place i could find still wanted 450 just for the frame and that was pre stripped they wanted more to strip it themselves

I apologize if it seemed sarcastic. It is nasty stuff but if you're doing it once in a blue moon it's not as bad. Blasted and PC'ed is the way to go hands down. Don't know if there's metallic PC, I know they have pearl colors but if they can put a monkey on the moon they gotta have metallic colors. No matter how you look at it it's gonna chip eventually, powdercoat takes more of a beating before it will chip compared to other coatings though.

ok cool ill see about prices and like i said my dads friend might be able to paint for us and if so ill probably do it . if not i might powdercoat