painting head & jug

hotrodaj_2

Mar 23, 2010
Central California
I know from my days owning a volkswagen bug that you eather leave the cylinders bare or paint them flat black only. I want to paint my jug & head but dont really want to paint them flat black and I cant keep it looking good bare. What do you guys think?

I have found one very effective way to keep the top end clean, painted or bare. don't ride lol. black gets just as dirty as bare.

i used BBQ paint on my whole engine. it has held up well and i am glad i did. i find it easier to clean maybe because the gloss paint seals the raw aluminum

I like the look of the unpainted head-jug but after a while and alot of hard work, It looks like sh!t imo. I dont want to paint them flat black. It seems I have two options, Paint flat black or leave unpainted and deal with it. Flat black does start to look bad after a while also, Idk what to do. Head and jug are going on engine today, I guess they will be unpainted.

Unless your limiting your own choces there are alot out there.
Honda red
Zuki blue
Yama silver
Black

I've always been told to leave aircooled stuff bare or paint them flat black only. Anything else will not allow the heat to escape. A gloss black is a no no also. These engine paints out there in the auto parts stores are not made for aircooled engines. I dont think someone could through any old paint on their blaster engine and it be ok. You do have to be carfull. I'd rather have a ugly bare engine that runs than a pretty painted one that does'nt.

idk mine is bare and every once in a while i go over it with steel wool and i think it doesnt look half bad but thats just me

Look it's like this if overheating comes down to a couple coats of paint you were doomed to begin with.
What makes you think flat black cools better then other paint?

Go back to stock color like this. This is before I did the clear coat.
02112011356.jpg