Painting A Frame.

Jammies

Jun 23, 2011
New York
How would you go about painting a frame?

To get the old paint off; Paint stripper? Sanding? Or wire wheel? I can't get my frame sandblasted so that's not an option.

Painting the frame; A couple coats of... What's the best paint for a frame? Probably Krylon Fusion. Then a clear coat. I can't get it powdercoated, so that as well is not an option.

Any tips for prepping or things not to do would be greatly appreciated.

I had mine sandblasted, so I don't know what else would work, but it's the best option there. I used rust proof Duplicolor primer, 2 coats, and duplicolor engine enamel, whatever color you want, as the actual paint, 2 coats, then let it set for a few days and it is extremely tough paint, I can't scratch it off and it resists gas and oil as well. You can heat cure it for even better results though.

Wish I could give you better help under your circumstances. and from my experience with Krylon, it is awful.

Paint stripper than wire wheel. Than metal primer and then the paint use lots of coats then clear coat it a few times. I also like engine enamel rattle can and comes in lots of colors.

paint stripper from any auto store, with the airplane on the red can, brush it on, let sit, pressure wash the paint right off, redo the spots it missed, and de-grease it first, the stripper wont work if it can't get to the paint thru the grease

i had better luck with factory epoxy frame paint from the dealership than i did rattle cans, then pro shot auto paint this last round

Do you think that after I'm done with the paint stripper (I'll probably use that) that I'll need to sand the frame? I watched a video in which the guy sanded his frame from 300-1000 grit after he used the paint stripper. Will that be necessary?

If you use paint stripper, after you apply it wrap it with alum cooking foil. This will allow the active ingredient in the stripper to bite deeply into the paint. It stops the evaporation of the stripper therefore keeps on biting into the old paint.

Remove a small section after about 30 mins to see if it has done its job, if not give some more time.

A messy business but will save you a lot of time sanding, and will save you heaps of stripper as usually it gets it all first time.

Neutralise with water and sand away!

If you use paint stripper, after you apply it wrap it with alum cooking foil. This will allow the active ingredient in the stripper to bite deeply into the paint. It stops the evaporation of the stripper therefore keeps on biting into the old paint.

Remove a small section after about 30 mins to see if it has done its job, if not give some more time.

A messy business but will save you a lot of time sanding, and will save you heaps of stripper as usually it gets it all first time.

Neutralise with water and sand away!

I can only imagine what that would look like, a frame fully wrapped with aluminum foil. :D :D :D

cleaning a frame and spraying it is no laughing matter, it is a time consuming job that you need to put effort into and get it right.

I once cleaned a frame with a wire drill brush followed by flatting with sand paper, its PT but it pays off.

Following that, spray it with thinners from a compressor in a spray gun, then give it a coat of anti oxidizing primer, i use a beige one you mix with lacquer thinners.

Then you can give it a coat of silver or whatever colour you decide on. I ONLY use 2K auto paint. Mix 2:1 with hardner then dilute with 2K thinners to the right thickness. Then go for it.

Obviously a great deal of spray painting skill is needed to avoid runs and drips but that only comes with practice.

Before you apply stripper bust up the surface of the old paint with coarse abrasive paper, it helps the stripper bite..

What I do is spray paint stripper on first, then presure wash it off.
Then I sandblast it. It makes the sandblasting take alot less time.
Just using stripper only can be done as well as sanding/wire wheeling but dang that takes alot of time.
Sandblasters are cheap (like $15) and are pretty much the best way to prep anything before paint or powder coat.

Before you apply stripper bust up the surface of the old paint with coarse abrasive paper, it helps the stripper bite..

I wish I knew to deglaze the paint before applying stripper, probably wouldn't have taken me 4 days to remove the paint.

i pressure washed mine and sanded it by hand. not down the bare metal but just enogh to get paint to stick. i primered 2 coats, painted 2 coats and cleared 2 coats. looks pro.

Go to harbor freight or the like and buy an attatchment for sand blasting i dont know the actual name of it we always called them blasting pots and blast it in your drive way.

Takes it down to bare metal is easy and insures you get a good surface for your new paint and primer to bite on to.

Those blasting pots are cheap and we just run silica sand through them.

For painting while youre at harbor freight or the like buy a cheap HVLP touch up gun theyre small light cheap (like 15$) and fit into all the nooks and crannies on a frame.For paint id just go with a duplicolor automotive paint from the auto parts store.I used it on my plastics and its got the flex agents in it already and has no recoat window so touch ups are easy.

I dont suggest their primer though on the frame its too thin.Instead get a higher quality primer i forget the name of it but a buddy just painted his car with it and its almost a rubberized coating for primer and is supposed to seal the metal.

Or just powder coat.

Just getting back to the alum cooking foil stripper method, it gets it all first time, no need for a second coat of stripper.