Official 250x/300ex thread

blasterman87

Nov 17, 2008
ok a few of us have these and i figured id make a thread for them to keep from stopping up others... ill add a few known mods, 400ex carb/a-arms/plastic fits,with some mods a 350x motor mounts up, ive also heard a xr600 motor is an easy swap?? some stock problems are, the exhaust is very resrictive esp the header its very small, the carrer bearings are weak, and rear brake caliper freezes up if not taken care of somewhat.

now some questions.. are the 400ex arms longer? does a 400ex axle/swingarm fit? what bout shocks?

i know the 400ex arms bolt on, stock rev box sucks!! i think mine is a/m but i gotta look into it, i know my coil says TEC on it and online shows them as beeing agreat company for honda coils.

300ex plastics fit on the 250x yamaha hubs fit the 250x axle, just needd a washer to make up for the lenght of the yammy one being alil shorter than the honda,

there known to have valve problems from sh*t maintanace... if you bought aused one spend the lil bit and change out the valve spring retainers as they wear and fail which drops valves and bends them,

good post on the valves ill have to look into that with mine, im also looking into the xr600 swap

only reason i say that is cuz they are prone to fail if not maintained, friend bent valves twice this winter,... also make sure the compression relive valve works properly... should be 'down' when not kicking ( down as in look at the cable running to it and make sure the compression relive valve/ cabe are to the right)

no cable coming off the kicker housing, runing it a lever type thing on the right side of the head????.... its not needed.. but its nice to have.. it releases some compression when you kick start it to make it easyer to start.... granted i dont need it as im fully capable of kicking over a high comp motor, but its nice for them long days of riding, and your tired makes startin easyer.. except mine takes like 5-8 kicks to start, i gotta tweek the carb yet

yup im guessing they would have had to be removed, if i remember right i could flip the switch by hand at the top of the head

idk, sounds like a good set up to me, atleast with a 4poke you dont have to worrie about jetting as much because it gets lubed with regular oil