NY n00b

BlasterCash

Apr 15, 2014
Hampton Bays, N.Y.
Hey guys, my name is cash, david cash. I'm from the Hamptons on long island and I just bought my first blaster at age 26. I've always wanted a quad since I was very young, but I grew up poor so I could never afford one and all the other rich kids in my neighborhood just made me jealous lol. So now that I finally got my sh*t together(I was a late bloomer), I went out and bought a $450 complete 2001 blaster with a blown piston. Bought a std bore wiseco top end kit, oil block off kit, stainless engine bolt kit and went to town. Now I have a decent running blaster after adjusting the carb and throwing on a new chain and 14/40 sprocket set. Probably going to buy some used aftermarket goodies when they come along cheap enough and thinking about sending the cylinder and head over to mr. O conner for a port and polish in the future. Just wanted to say hi. So hi!

Welcome.

Take a tip from a silly old fart and buy a leak tester and test for leaks before you start the engine again.

No matter how good a mechanic you are the 2 stroke is notorious for developing disasterous air leaks.

Thank you thank you you're far too kind lol I only know a little from creeping the forum a few weeks learning all I need to know this place is pretty thorough but I'm definitely going to invest in a leak tester especially since I didnt split the cases and change all the bearings and seals but I cleaned her up pretty nice and shes running pretty well. I actually just picked up a used lrd adjustable pipe and silencer, dg nerfs, renthal bars and a new 96 link chain im going to install tomorrow, have to do my research on proper jetting and possibly cutting the chain to size...

Tip for the pipe

put in the front part first, then the second half. it wont fit both together.

use enough RTV silicone to seal the adjust able part, try for halfway out, good power there.

you might want more mods to go with that pipe, it wont feel as good on a stock motor.

What happened to the piston?

You said it was blown, if it dropped a skirt and you did not split the cases and clean/ remove all crap from the crankcase, be prepared for an expensive rebuild very, very soon.

No amount of cleaning/ flushing will remove the piston debris from the bearings.

Do not install a new chain on old sprockets, crap may just happen, chain and sprockets marry for life.

I may seem like a whining old fart, but i have been there, done that and I am concerned that you may run into trouble.

Last edited:
That is EXACTLY what happened blaaster, I know im taking a chance byt I ordered the top end before taking it apart and I got antsy to get it back together so I just did a high pressure flush and hoped for the best and it seems to be ok but smokey at first, then died down and she seems all right. Bought the chain and sprocket set and new chain roller bc I swear I hear metal clinging in the case every time I ride it but I think im just being paranoid lol, I didnt realize it was missing the bottom roller so I will install tm and see if I can still hear ole clickety clack lol thanks for the advice though guys I heard this pipe was really good and hard to come by so I hope its ok. Probably going to send my head out in the next few weeks for a porting when I rip it down to sand and paint everything, and while im at it I guess ill crack the cases and put a new bearing/seal kit in the lower end....

You are not only taking a chance, you are tempting providence.

Here's hoping it will stay together until you split the cases.

So you were kind of right blaaster I ended up having to split the cases bc shortly thereafter I let my wife take it for a spin and when she brought it back it wouldn't shift out of neutral lol so she f*cked the tranny up so I ended up splitting the cases and going over everything changed the seals and bearings, did the shift star mod, cleaned it all up slapped it back together and now she runs like a dream! I also did a bunch of other cosmetic stuff since then like clean her all up nice and painted a bunch of little stuff that needed painting, cleaned up the plastics, sanded and polished the wheels, added wally lights rand brush guards and threw a 400ex shock on the rear and some decent chrome front shocks on and changed out every old nut and bolt and replaced them with new ones from a complete bolt kit I bought, oh and I put a little inline fuel filter in between the petcock and carb, here are some pics!
KIMG0012.JPG
KIMG0011.JPG
KIMG0010.JPG
KIMG0009.JPG
KIMG0008.JPG
KIMG0006.JPG
KIMG0005.JPG
KIMG0003.JPG

Reactions: dirtysquared
lookin good !

but for further reference, a shattered piston in the bottom end/crankcase area had zero influence on the gearbox not shifting.

Reactions: BlasterCash
Oh trust me I know awk lol but it gave me a reason to split the cases which I needed to do anyways, if nothing else I got to learn this motor front to back now I can put one together blindfolded lol. As I said I have quite a bit of prior mechanical experience from the automotive side, but this was my first crack at an atv. And thanks to this forum I can honestly say I could rebuild another one of these things with one hand tied behind my back lol. And I plan on it too, as I bought another one a few months back after I realized how simple 2 stroke motors are (especially the blaster) so now I have a spare 88' in the much sought after(at least I like to think so) purple color that will become my wifes first blaster! Good thing I have so many spare parts I accumulated in the process of building mine! Oh I forgot to mention when I pulled apart the motor I found a nice crack in the counter balancer housing (which seems to be quite common) whats the deal with this area of the case? It seems like every right side case I see has this wearing in the same place, im guessing it's from the counter balancer bearing going bad? Well anyway, thanks for all the compliments, I've worked long and hard on this bike and though there are still a few things I'd like to do to her, I won't have much profit margin left when it comes time to sell her if I keep going! So for now, I think I'll focus on the purple people eater!