Not wanting to start!!

97blastermx130

Apr 26, 2011
Evansville, IN
I've posted on here before trying to get my blaster running but still seem to have a problem, I have a 97 blaster everything stock beside a FMF slip on exhaust, I've had the quad for about 3 months now and I have only spent maybe 4 hrs riding it, I spend more time trying to work on it then riding. My problem is, it doesn't want to start. I was told on my last post to try all of this stuff and still haven't gotten it running. The blaster had a stock main jet when bought and someone told me to bump my 230 to a 240, in which I did. Still nothing, I have cleaned my carb a million times and adjusted my float a hundered times, it's set at 21mm. Okay so when I try to start the quad it seems as if its not getting any gas, but gas will pour out of overflow if i turn the screw, I have good compression, good spark and good air flow, but still not running. I have the TORS still ontop of the carb but disconnected (getting eliminator kit soon). I am thinking that just something is wrong with my carb so I'm going to get a carb kit and put all new s**t in it. I was wondering if anyone has/had this problem or know what would be wrong with it.

If you have spark,and you are certain you have DECENT compression,you have a fuel problem. I dont know much about the TORS,but Id look there. You have gone through the carb already.

just pick up a new carb instead of a rebuild kit. A 28mm is bigger and will flow alot better. Not saying this will fix the problem but if your gonna spend that money then spend it on a modd.

If you have spark,and you are certain you have DECENT compression,you have a fuel problem. I dont know much about the TORS,but Id look there. You have gone through the carb already.

I was thinking that it was the fuel being the problem, just not sure if by getting the carb rebuild kit it would help.

just pick up a new carb instead of a rebuild kit. A 28mm is bigger and will flow alot better. Not saying this will fix the problem but if your gonna spend that money then spend it on a modd.

The rebuild kit is only $20, verses the $100+ on a new carb.

Is your plug wet? What kind of compression are you getting?

Yes I'm running too rich, which was another clue to think I wasn't getting enough gas. My last compression test was 110 which is kind of low, but i went and looked at everything and tightened everything to make sure.

If you're running rich, how is it not getting enough gas? If your plug is wet it would seem its not getting spark.

Are you sure you're getting a good spark? Try another plug?

If you're running rich, how is it not getting enough gas? If your plug is wet it would seem its not getting spark.

Are you sure you're getting a good spark? Try another plug?

Well I still have the stock oil injection so I thought that even if it wasn't getting gas it would still get oil, but now that I think about it the carb misses the 2 together lol. I've tried other plugs but nothing, I know when I first got it and it ran I fouled plugs out regularly.

Usually when bikes are too rich on the pilot, they will start easier, no choke, but they will run like poo.

Are you using the choke when trying to start it? Have you tried roll starting it? I had a very similiar issue as you, where I had spark, but it wasnt strong enough and it wouldnt run.

I ended up having to swap out the stator. Do you have a digital multimeter and know how to use it?

Usually when bikes are too rich on the pilot, they will start easier, no choke, but they will run like poo.

Are you using the choke when trying to start it? Have you tried roll starting it? I had a very similiar issue as you, where I had spark, but it wasnt strong enough and it wouldnt run.

I ended up having to swap out the stator. Do you have a digital multimeter and know how to use it?

I've tried to start it every way and nothing. No I don't have one or know how to use one, what is it?

The other day when I was trying to get it started, I was messing with the gas/air screw and was turning it in and out trying to get it to start, it actually started for a couple seconds when I had the screw only turned out a half of a way. What could that be?

The other day when I was trying to get it started, I was messing with the gas/air screw and was turning it in and out trying to get it to start, it actually started for a couple seconds when I had the screw only turned out a half of a way. What could that be?
By turning the air bleed in, you have decreased the amount of air in the mixture thus making it richer.
What happens when you put in a brand new plug? Will the plug get wet after only trying to start it a few times? I had one that would flood the crank case and once that happened, it was near impossible to get started. The plug would get wet after only a few kicks. It is amazing how a little fuel on the plug will keep it from running. Turned out to be a plugged pilot jet.

By turning the air bleed in, you have decreased the amount of air in the mixture thus making it richer.
What happens when you put in a brand new plug? Will the plug get wet after only trying to start it a few times? I had one that would flood the crank case and once that happened, it was near impossible to get started. The plug would get wet after only a few kicks. It is amazing how a little fuel on the plug will keep it from running. Turned out to be a plugged pilot jet.

I normally have it turned out 1 1/2 turns and it doesn't want to start at all that way. When I put in a new plug it will get wet after a few kicks, I don't think any of my jets are dirty, I clean my carb out regularly.

I really think your issue is spark related. Like I said, you can run richer than a MOFO on the pilot and it will still start. Especially if you give a little bit of throttle.

Digital multimeter is a tool. You can measure resistance of circuits, continunity, AC/VC voltage, and sometimes amps. In my opinion its a must have if you own one of these things. Every single electrical system check requires you to use one. You can get a relatively cheap one that works well from any hardware store. You should really get one, use the internet to read about how it works (or read the instructions if it comes with any), and take off your seat, and unplug the orange wire that feeds the ignition coil, and use the DMM red to the orange, black to ground, and have a buddy kick it over and see if you get voltage on a kick. You should be around 7-12 volts on a kick. That should produce enough voltage to spark.

Your issues sound just like mine when my stator went out.