Not shifting right

xJust_Causex

Apr 14, 2010
york, Illinois
Went to ride the blaster day and the blaster is not shifting right. When you go to shift its like it's hanging up and sometimes it will go out of gear but wont engage the next gear essentially going into neutral and you have to shift up again to get it to catch gear. It doesn't matter if you use the clutch or not it still has the same problem. Occasionally you have to let out on the clutch and give it a little throttle to get it to engage. I'm hoping it's something simple and was gonna pull the shift star and clean it up and round the points and see if that helps but I don't think it's gonna be that easy of a fix. What y'all think?

Have you pulled the cover yet??? I would check the little wheel thingy that runs in the grooves of the shift star. Maybe the spring broke or somethin.

So I pulled the cover this morning and it looks like the shift star is loose and binding. It looks like I'm gonna have to remove the clutch basket to get to it. My question is is there anyway to remove it with out pulling it completely apart and what do I need to adjust it to when I put it back together.

The newer model shift drums have the star welded to them (to prevent exactly the problem you are having)

If you tighten up the Torx bolt in the center of the shift star and apply some loctite to it, you should be good to go, as toytech said.

If that doesn't fix your problem, the rest of the transmission shifting pieces are between the two case halves. Splitting them may be the solution to the problem if the shift star doesn't turn out to be the issue.

Reactions: blasterbogger
Ya I'm hoping not to split the cases. What I'm not sure is on removing the clutch pack is t possible to do it with out pulling the whole the whole clutch apart

You can remove the clutch fibers and steel without taking the outer basket off.

That will leave the inner basket and outer basket still on the engine which MAY still be in the way of the shift star...

Ya I was thinking you could remove the clutch basket with out taking the whole clutch apart. Also found out that one of the bolts that hold the springs is striped out so I may be looking for a new one. Ya fun. This may get thrown on the back burner till fall since I move to macomb this weekend for my summer internship. So wanted to do some riding before then

So I pulled the cover this morning and it looks like the shift star is loose and binding. It looks like I'm gonna have to remove the clutch basket to get to it. My question is is there anyway to remove it with out pulling it completely apart and what do I need to adjust it to when I put it back together.

A Clymers manual. I:I

^^^^ X2 LOL! Clymers in hand is very nice (I like thumbing through the manual by hand to find what I need) but you can also download the factory service manual from the "general support" section of this forum and have a go at it with that.

If the inner clutch hub has a stripped hole you may want to start trolling Ebay now... there isn't much meat there and you really need that part to be balanced so I wouldn't recommend modifying it in any way.