Noob from the south!

SulphurDave

Aug 21, 2011
Sulphur, LA
Don't be too jealous but today I just got my 2001 blaster running for the first time since 2006. It wasn't mine then it was my brother in law's who bought it new in 2001 but has been sitting in a garage since 2006 never moved until this weekend when he said if I can get it running I can have it for free. This is a virgin white completely stock bike. So yesterday I took the carb off and to no surprise it was all gummed up. Broke it all down to bare carb, boiled it for 30 mins, soaked everything minus the plastic/rubber parts in seafoam overnight, cleaned everything up with carb cleaner before reinstalling, put a new spark plug in, played with the idle mixture screw then vroom!! Fired right up and came alive after 5 years of sitting. Now I have a very low hours 01 virgin blaster for free :D Now.. I'm sure I need to double check to see if it's running rich or lean. Tips? I'm new to this particular game but I'm no stranger to mechanics. Also... I bypassed the oil pump and put in fresh premix to get it running because that oil in the tank is pretty old. The oil pump works fine and dribbles while running looks like according to specs. So I'm thinking of hooking it back up for now until I do the whole oil pump block off plate mod. Suggestions? Input? What are some things I should do now (besides change the oil and air filter)

Thanks I:I

Welcome
Any mods done to it? If not then you will be fine with stock jetting.
There's a link to the manual and a few helpful howto's in my sig. vvvvvv

cole heres yur answer if you read his post lol
This is a virgin white completely stock bike
Now I have a very low hours 01 virgin blaster for free
welcome to the site and enjoy your blaster if you have any questions ask, and i think what your doing is right. get it running chang oil plug clean the filter then ride then think about mods

Yea Cole, it's a virgin as in, never been messed with. Yea that was the first thing I did was find the online manual and saved it in my browser. Good info. Lots I need to read. I'll get into mods soon enough. Wasn't sure if there was like a "basic bolt-on" list of parts that everyone knows is a must to open it up some like an exhaust system for example.

Good pipe, Uni air filter and removing the airbox lid is a great improvement.
For suspension Banshee front shocks and a 400ex rear shock are budget upgrades.
Check out the rebuild and diy sections for mod ideas.

Good pipe, Uni air filter and removing the airbox lid is a great improvement.
For suspension Banshee front shocks and a 400ex rear shock are budget upgrades.
Check out the rebuild and diy sections for mod ideas.

Don't forget to jet your carb after each engine mod so you don't fry your top end;)

Edit: oh and welcome to the sickness bro! I:I