nology coils on banshee

08curranc

Jan 4, 2013
san diego
so i removed the stock ignition coil on my banshee and replaced it with nology coils and now it seems to be misfiring in one cylinder. the right side pipe was blowing cold air and the pipe never got hot after running for like 10-15 min mean while the left pipe was nice and hot blowing hot air out the exhaust. i switched the coil leads and the problem followed. i didnt splice the wires but i added an adapter connector with two tabs on the coil and plugged the main lines into the one coil. i then jumped a wire from the adapter connector to the other coil. i did this for both the positive and negative and both adapters are on the same coil. could my problem be how i connected them? im thinking one is now getting more power than the other. do you think if i splice the wire with and even amount of wire it will work better? the bike starts one kick now and it was idleing fine until i switched the leads on the plugs, and then it started fine but didnt want to idle. should i have to readjust the idle after intalling these?

First off, if it's misfireing, it won't idle. The noligy is same as stock in that it is one coil with two plug wires? When you switched "leads", do you mean plug wires? Did it come with new plug caps? If not, you either have a bad connection at cap or bad cap. If after ohming caps one is bad, might as well replace both.

If all checks good to this point, then you have to move on to stator/flywheel. Using proper puller, remove flywheel, clean all rust off stator poles and timing "nubs" on outside of flywheel. Set pick-up coil gap. This ^^^ is what I did to my sons to fix one cyl misfire. Either make sure coil mount is clean bare metal or better yet is run seperate ground back to engine.

Of course this all assumes that the coil was only thing changed at this time.

First off, if it's misfireing, it won't idle. The noligy is same as stock in that it is one coil with two plug wires? When you switched "leads", do you mean plug wires? Did it come with new plug caps? If not, you either have a bad connection at cap or bad cap. If after ohming caps one is bad, might as well replace both.

its is not the same as stock it has two separate coils each with there own plug wires. and by leads yes i meant plug wires. pretty sure i have to much current going to one coil than the other im gonna fiddle around today and see if i can fix it.

Ok, make sure that hot leads from wire harness are both going to + on coil tower. If they are backwards spark will jump from ground to electrode instead of electrode to ground. Both coils fire at the same time, with one obviously fireing at BDC, just the way Banshee's are, and why stock one coil, two wires. Also make sure BOTH coils are grounded good. Even if these are brand new coils, if nothing else works, ohm the coils, might have a bad one.