no spark could use some help

2strokebeater

Jul 4, 2011
Belle Vernon, pa
it took a few kicks to get it started it normally takes one. I went for a quick ride when I noticed the motor over reving when I let of the throttle. I shut it down changed the plug it fired up went ten feet bogged down and shut off. That's when I relized it had no spark. What are your thoughts??? I had kind of the same thing happen to me two years ago it was the stator

Sounds like the stator. You can test the coil pretty easily if you have a battery charger. You can actually do a spark fire test right off the battery charger. Connect the positive wire to the orange wire, and ground the negative terminal to the bolt holes for the coil. You cant keep it grounded, but when you hit ground it will fire a spark. If your coils sparking, then your issue is your wiring, your CDI, or your stator.

Likewise, you can also connect a digital voltmeter to the orange wire on the coil (unplug the coil and connect to the female connection on the bike, not the male connection to the coil), and kick it. You should get 8-12 volts per kick. I had a stator that was only making like 4 volts and wasnt enough.

Likewise even more so, you could test everything down the list per the manual. They have you test the run/off switch, the off/on key switch, the primary coil, secondary coil (on the ignition coil), and both coils and the pickup of the stator. The book gives all readings for where they should be.

When I was chasing mine down, I used a combination of all three to determine my stator was faulty. I connected my coil to a battery charger and saw spark, so I ruled that out. I ohmed out all my wires and had continuity so I ruled that out. I connected my DMM to my orange wire and kicked it and had low voltage. I then ohmed out the old stator and the new one I bought on a hunch to replace it. The old stator had an open in one of the coil circuits and thats what it ended up being. I put the new stator on and was fine.

Your stator also has 2 circuits on it. Since it has 2 circuits on it, you can also change the headlight wiring and the cdi wiring around (just the positive circuits) and it may start for you. If it does, your stator is definately borked, OR it has a broken wire in it.

If you dont have one, you should get a flywheel puller and either have a flywheel/clutch holder tool, OR an impact gun (I use an impact on mine. Never had a problem with it)

You might end up needing to pull that stator and check it out. If you do, not having the right tools will end your troubleshooting fast.

I know my post above was great, very helpful, whatever.

Just realized if you have your TORS system in tact, it can/will kill spark and make it not work.

So, you might do a search on deleting the TORS system for starters, and if it still doesnt work after youve confirmed the TORS is deleted properly, Id then test my ignition kill switches (both the run/off switch and off/on key switch). Both of them if the circuit is closed and grounded will kill spark by killing power to the CDI box.

Start there, then troubleshoot the coil, stator, wiring.

thats awesome you got it started up. good job! @ luni. so if i hook a car charger up to the coil like you said. the plug should spark? dose the plug have to be grounded to the motor at all? or dose it not have to be grounded for this to work? because i just did it to mine not grounded and no spark. my blaster died a few days ago on me after riding for like 3 mins in my yard. im just hoping its the coil for 2 reasons. 1 i dont have to spend more money on the stator and flywheel holder/puller lol and 2 i want the asr coil :)

ok well today i grounded it. left it hand on the side of the head. hooked up the positive from the charger to the orange and touched the negetive to where the ground wire grounds. no spark :( so this means the coil is bad right?

Well, in theory yes. So the next test is to connect a 12v test light or a digial multimeter (DMM is better), to the orange wire that feeds the coil and have someone kick the bike over. You should get between 8 and 12 volts per kick. If youre getting voltage to the wire, but it isnt sparking then yeah Id say your coil is bad.

hmm thanx for the help. yea i found out today it is my coil. with sucks but atleast its not the stator. rather replace the coil then stator