no idle!!!!!!

Sure can, a fouled plug can cause it not to idle. replace the plug and see if that resolves the problem.

Since I am new to the blaster, but not knew to atv's.

Here are the many things that I have found over the years to look at.

air leak, - areas of the air filter, carb connection to the air box, the air box not sealed good enough.

Now, if you getting to much fuel, you are running to rich.

Wet plugs is a clear sign of running to rich.

Not sure you using the injection or mixing your own fuel. But the wrong mix, easiliy can cause fouled plugs.

try turning your fuel mixture screw in 1/8th of a turn and see if that elimates it or is less wet, when you check the plug.

Not sure how old is yours or how many miles. but if you got some weak piston rings, you could be getting blow buy, causing to much fuel/ oil onto the plug.

Just my thoughts on what to look at.

Sporty

well i put in a new plug it was idleing then took it for a ride, stopped, it idled for a little bit then shut off, so now im trying to adjust the air and idle screw but it almost seems its having no effect on it, my mods are in my sig, i have 290 main in...

Wll ya just got it to jetted ! Thats the down fall for more speed and power.

If you have a fmf fatty and power core 2, you should have a 260 main jet and a 32.5 pilot jet, per fmf web site. jet needle in 3rd position and 1.5 turns on the air screw.

I know you not sure what you have for a silencer / pipe. but maybe try a lower jet screw, if you want it to idle better. Atleast try putting the air box lid back on and see if that does anything before changing the jet.

but either live with it, or tone it down some.

well i put in a new plug it was idleing then took it for a ride, stopped, it idled for a little bit then shut off, so now im trying to adjust the air and idle screw but it almost seems its having no effect on it, my mods are in my sig, i have 290 main in...

Little change when trying to adjust idle points to, air leak, or incorrect float level.

Plug fouling can be caused by an excess of oil in the crankcase, due to excessive "Granny" riding.

The main jet has no say in the idle circuit.

c0e7eace.gif

well lucky for you, you have a overflow screw on the float and a overflow tube.

If the float is not working, where it is not closing, the over flow would be coming out of the tube, when it is sitting for a few minutes. unless it all leaks into the reeds and into the cylinder. If that was going on, it would be hard starting. If it would even started due to flooding.

So check your over flow tube.

Other than taking off the bottom of the carb and carefully removing the float and checking for holes or cracks. or the needle seat being worn and not seating like it should.

I doubt its your float tho. So I would just check the over flow line and see if you see any gas coming out of it. if its dry. I doubt you have a issue with the float bowl.

If you put the 290 in and you idle now and it working fine. then why check the float ? are you still having issues ?

Little change when trying to adjust idle points to, air leak, or incorrect float level.

Plug fouling can be caused by an excess of oil in the crankcase, due to excessive "Granny" riding.

The main jet has no say in the idle circuit.

c0e7eace.gif

In post 3 he said it was idling fine, then he rode it and when he came back it idled a little and shut off. Could the main have started fouling the plug while riding and then the low RPM/low stator output just not been enough to over come the buildup on the plug?

89blaster89 What type of idle screw are you using? I've read that some people have had problems maintaining idle quality with the Vito's style jam nut idle screw.

well lucky for you, you have a overflow screw on the float and a overflow tube.

If the float is not working, where it is not closing, the over flow would be coming out of the tube, when it is sitting for a few minutes. unless it all leaks into the reeds and into the cylinder. If that was going on, it would be hard starting. If it would even started due to flooding.

So check your over flow tube.

Other than taking off the bottom of the carb and carefully removing the float and checking for holes or cracks. or the needle seat being worn and not seating like it should.

I doubt its your float tho. So I would just check the over flow line and see if you see any gas coming out of it. if its dry. I doubt you have a issue with the float bowl.

If you put the 290 in and you idle now and it working fine. then why check the float ? are you still having issues ?

yes i put the 290 in and it idled then i rode it, pulled the plug it was dry!, then stopped it idled for 30 seconds then shut off, im now trying to adjust air and idles screw its not working, the overflow tube is dry!

Hold the carb as depicted in the pic, making sure that you do not touch the float, and that the tang is riding on the needle.

Measure the distance as shown in the pic.

Adjustment is made by gently bending the tang..

239m3m.jpg

The arrow points to the tang, and you adjust it either way, to make the measurement correct.

Even though the main jet has no affect on idle, the idle setting must be correct before you attempt a plug chop.

Last edited:
Hold the carb as depicted in the pic, making sure that you do not touch the float, and that the tang is riding on the needle.

Measure the distance as shown in the pic.

Adjustment is made by gently bending the tang..

239m3m.jpg

Take note if your tang looks pitted like this one it is in poor condition.

im sorry im confused, what exactly do i measure and whats the tang, and what way do i bend??:-/

Well, Looks like you might want to take the carb off and apart and clean it really well and then you can check the seat and see if it is sealing well when the float closes.

Now, I do the hill billy way on this.

I turn the carb upside down and the float then will close the needle / seat. I will not be able to blow air thru the seat whole and as i lift the float bowl up with my finger and blow the air out.
This can tell you if the seat is bad, other than taking the floar off and looking at the seat to see if the rubber is all derformed or shot. gas does destroy rubber after awhile.

Have you tried a new batch of gas and oil mix ? is it the same fuel mix that you used the other day when it was idling fine ?

Are you using a new plug or just waiting for wet plug to dry up and reuse it ?

Hows those air filters ? how old ? dirty ? might take a look and clean them. esp since you not using the lid to the box.