Newbie from NC

SuperDave07

Dec 16, 2012
Hey everyone, just thought i'd drop in and introduce myself. My name is David, i'm 23 and originally from Alabama but moved here to NC back in July. I picked up a 2001 Yamaha Blaster last week from a guy who said blew the rings out of it but other than that, should be in good running condition. I bought it off of him for $350 and I have a family friend that owns an automotive machine shop to help me with rebuilding it. I have experience in sportbikes and a little experience with automotive internals but this is my first four wheeler and i'm excited to tear into this thing and fix it up. Here's a few pictures of how it sits now:

506_zps86325a9f.jpg

507_zpsbb95ebb9.jpg

508_zpsb728d4b5.jpg

Welcome, Dave! Got yourself a great deal from the looks of things. These engines are very easy to work on, and you shouldn't have much trouble getting 'er running again.

What part of NC are you from? Im right outside of Rockingham, and often get up to the Fayetteville/Hope Mills area...

nice score for the money david !

Thanks for all of the warm welcomes, can't wait to get it running and have fun with it and from what I can tell, this forum is full of great people and great info to help get me there.

Braaaptor, I live in Raeford, just outside of Fayetteville. Just moved out here back in July and haven't really had a chance to explore or find any good spots to ride.

Braaaptor, I live in Raeford, just outside of Fayetteville. Just moved out here back in July and haven't really had a chance to explore or find any good spots to ride.

Been to Raeford many times. Welcome to the state!

Ooohhhh, you're about to be in for a BIG surprise for riding spots.... :D You'll have to check out Busco Beach ATV Park in Goldsboro, Outback ATV Park in Laurinburg, and Carolina Adventure World just south of Charlotte. All great places to go and explore. And those are just some of the big-name places.

Shoot me a PM sometime when you get the Blaster running, and we'll meet up and go ride. I'm always wanting more fellow NC riders to hang out and have a good time with.

Been to Raeford many times. Welcome to the state!

Ooohhhh, you're about to be in for a BIG surprise for riding spots.... :D You'll have to check out Busco Beach ATV Park in Goldsboro, Outback ATV Park in Laurinburg, and Carolina Adventure World just south of Charlotte. All great places to go and explore. And those are just some of the big-name places.

Shoot me a PM sometime when you get the Blaster running, and we'll meet up and go ride. I'm always wanting more fellow NC riders to hang out and have a good time with.

Sounds good bro, looking forward to it. Hopefully i'll have it up and soon after the holidays, providing I don't come across any surprises. I took a little time yesterday to tinker with it a bit, clean it up some and whatnot. I removed the TORS which was way too easy and I was going to block off the oil injection system but 1) the write-up says to warm up the engine first and mine doesn't run yet 2) the write-up didn't have pictures which is the easiest way for me to follow along and 3) this one seems a bit more complicated to me given, i'm not very familiar with some of the parts associated with the Blaster yet.

On another note though, I discovered this thing has a Moose brand air filter on it... Any opinions on if I need to swap this out for a Uni or K&N or should I just clean and oil this one up and keep it?

Hey everyone, just thought i'd drop in and introduce myself. My name is David, i'm 23 and originally from Alabama but moved here to NC back in July. I picked up a 2001 Yamaha Blaster last week from a guy who said blew the rings out of it but other than that, should be in good running condition. I bought it off of him for $350 and I have a family friend that owns an automotive machine shop to help me with rebuilding it. I have experience in sportbikes and a little experience with automotive internals but this is my first four wheeler and i'm excited to tear into this thing and fix it up.

Sounds good bro, looking forward to it. Hopefully i'll have it up and soon after the holidays, providing I don't come across any surprises. I took a little time yesterday to tinker with it a bit, clean it up some and whatnot. I removed the TORS which was way too easy and I was going to block off the oil injection system but 1) the write-up says to warm up the engine first and mine doesn't run yet 2) the write-up didn't have pictures which is the easiest way for me to follow along and 3) this one seems a bit more complicated to me given, i'm not very familiar with some of the parts associated with the Blaster yet.

On another note though, I discovered this thing has a Moose brand air filter on it... Any opinions on if I need to swap this out for a Uni or K&N or should I just clean and oil this one up and keep it?

Welcome nice find for 3½ bills! That moose foam filter will do ya good! Uni two stage may be better but I'd run a moose if it came with one just keep it clean and oiled! The money saved you can do your blockoff!

Oh and my Homie Braaaptor, will have your front end alignment spot on in minutes!!