new to the world of air cooled

1252smoke

Sep 27, 2009
west virginia
Well just sold my bike and got a 2001 blaster. My question how long can you go on a top end on these engines? Before your pushing your luck. The fellow I got it from had it a year with out a rebuild. Still has good compression.

As long as the carb is jetted correctly and you run a good mixture in your gas (32:1 is what most people run). They run a long time. There are people on here wtih 8 years on a rebuild. As long as the compression is good, about 120, then it's fine. You take care of it and it'll take care of you. And WELCOME to the forum!!!

i just rebuilt mine an it still had the original piston in it so it lasted 9 years an probably could have made it longer but i wanted a lil more power

Wow didn't think you could go that long! Ive been redoing the top end at least twice a year on the bike I sold. Just started liking the blaster a lot more. I'm running 32:1 klotz Super TechniPlate seem to give me the best throttle response on past bikes Iv had.

when i got it no work had been done to it i was suprised to find that the stock piston was still good it only needs rings even the walls on the cylinder still look good that was 9 years with oil injection with aparently not a single problem