New to quads, new to the forum, will be needing advice...

TurboBob

Aug 29, 2011
near Detroit
Hi,

My youngest is dreaming about dirtbikes (Travis Pastrana stuff), so the wife and I are starting him on quads.

We bought a couple '86 Suzuki 230s for the old folks (the wife and I) and an 88 Blaster for the kid.

The Blaster was a pretty good deal, or so I thought. It seems to run ok, although the jury's still out, but the biggest issue right now is the transmission can't seem to find any gears except 1st and neutral. I'm hoping its related to the star wheel gizmo (see, I have been reading...) and I don't need to really tear into it. Thats more 'experience' than I really want just yet.

So, I'll say "Hi" to all you guys. This forum looks to be a great resource. I have a lot of research to do yet...

A couple quick questions I have not found the answer to:
1: For buying stuff like gaskets, carb kits, jets, and other supplies, are there 'supporting vendors' or other favored sources?

2: Any reasonable places to ride in the southeastern MI area? We have carted the quads back and forth to Cadillac Mi to ride at the in-laws and its quite a trek.

3: In order to tear into the engine (the bottom end anyway) the engine needs to come out of the frame. I have not seen any pics or how-to's on this. Is it pretty straightforward?

Thanks all!

I'll post up some pics soon!

Bob

first off....welcome
we will help guide you thru anything related to these bikes !!!!
a lot of us just do ebay for parts, way easier to compare prices, east coast atv and xcbob have been cool with me for accessories, my motor parts and work come from ken oconnor racing, links and numbers below in my sig
just a word of caution for you michiganer's, definately stay away from the local "kennedy power sports", huge A-HOLE ripoff artist
and the shift star is accessed thru the clutch cover, and only the peg needs dropped and kicker removed to get it off
not sure what to look for on a bad shift star, but i had one once, before i came here, someone else did that work for me, but someone on here will know the signs

welcome, ebay is your best bet for spares, just try to stick to genuine cylindr base gaskets (graphite) the green paper ones are prone to leaking.

its pretty easy and quick getting the motor out the frame, there are three mounting bolts, one in the front near the base of the motor, its a long bolt running right through the motor with a 14mm nut on the end, the second is a smaller 12mm head bolt which tightens into a frame tapped thread and the third is the swingarm bolt, its a 22mm head and is massive, its near the back of the motor and links the swingarm and motor together in a fashion. whip them all out and disconnect the necessary cables and wires. a half hour job if you check it out and think before you start!

when you guys work on the engines, with them in the frame. Do you (can you) put the Blaster up on a table or stand to save your back?

If so, what do you use, and how do you get it up there?

Bob

(ordered some stuff from Vito's, gaskets and jets and such)

when you guys work on the engines, with them in the frame. Do you (can you) put the Blaster up on a table or stand to save your back?

If so, what do you use, and how do you get it up there?

Bob

(ordered some stuff from Vito's, gaskets and jets and such)

if im at my buddys shop ill put my blaster up on the lift if im at home i just work on it on the ground;) oh yeah and WELCOME!!

I found an Atv jack from a couple places I thought getting, runs about $99-$130 just depends where you get it from. Thought maybe it would be a good investment....

Btw welcome :) anything you need or want to kno you'll get it from here! Great people, great info :)

Yes cometic gaskets are a favored and very reliable gasket company simple put in your bike make modle year and you'll get all the gaskets availible. But of corse going through vendors lihe Chapparal Dennis Kirk Motosport and Rockymountain atvmc is another as well for very good prices if you have the time to do search. Part 2 I dont know any off the top of my head but click on the link and I'm shure you will find plenty. ATV Trails, Motorcycle Trails, Motocross Tracks, California Part 3 yea for the most part it's just the 4 or so bolts on the front and the swing arm holding it in there. good luck dude