New to Forum... Bought a locked up Blaster today for 140 bucks

bguild

Aug 26, 2012
Okay here is the scoop..
I am new to the forum but today I bought a used 2006 200 Blaster. It has the piston siezed and its missing the rear brake. To make a long story short I knew i was getting into when I bought it. I have replaced a top end in my motocross bike back in the 90's and I am now 34 with more patience than then. I only paid 140 for the entire atv. Its not in horrible shape be needs some love which I plan to give if i can get it running.

When I got it home i started diagnosing the issues. Anyway the rear brake has been removed.. Still has the lever but nothing else. I will be looking for one of those so if anyone has an entire set up let me know.

I unbolted the top and took the cylinder off. The bad news is the piston has shattered and dropped into the case and that is why its siezed.

I plan to break the case and look at how bad the damage is but I wanted to get everyones opinion on what parts to order meaning brand etc... also tools I will need.
I have read the few posts with the videos and it looks somewhat easy to do but needs to have alot of time spent doing it right.

I like fast things but this is more for just fun and leasure..

Let me know your thoughts.. I think the bike is a 06..

Also if anyone is good at rebuilding and cheap I would consider just shipping the motor and have it done. Thought I would ask here first.

I probably can.. Its basically all stock and has been sitting in the guys barn for a year or so.. since it was sieze its just been sitting.

The piston was burnt pretty bad and it was missing one cylinder head bolt.. He thinks it was the oil injection that maybe went bad and caused it to blow.

He said it lost alot of power so he shut it off and then tried to restart and it was frozen.. He also said the engine was very hot unnormally hot.

Welcome to the site ! , Sounds like you have a good project and a Good start as well , First things first , Read on here about everything , The search bar helps allot !

Thanks.. I think I might just buy a upper and lower rebuild kit from Wiseco... I am curious what special tools i will need to crack the case and where i can find them cheap..> I dont want to break the bank on this one just getting running solid and then go from there.

congrats on a sweet deal / project.

We do enjoy pictures !

You likely will have some case damage and will need to replace or have them repaired.

Its common with these, that when the piston breaks, the piecies get in between the crank and case and crack or break the inner case.

Now it does not happen all the time, but it does happen.

So, a puller and fly wheel removal tool, is two tools you will need. Those are the only special tools I can think of, other can a cir-slip removal tool. as there our a few c-clips that you will have to remove.

Is the pipe and exhaust stock or aftermarket. Its possible, that the oil injection did nto fail, and the jetting was not done, if you do have a after market pipe and silencer.

Or maybe it did.

Sporty

He thinks it was the oil injection that maybe went bad and caused it to blow. QUOTE]

The only problem that the oil injection system has,is the dummy owner not filling the oil tank.

I'm not a huge fan of a helical delrin gear running against steel but that's another matter for another thread...

The most likely cause for a meltdown is either, as Joeak47 said, the dummy owner not filling the tank or running the bike improperly jetting or without an airfilter until the piston finally gave up.

The piston was burnt pretty bad and it was missing one cylinder head bolt.. He thinks it was the oil injection that maybe went bad and caused it to blow.

He said it lost alot of power so he shut it off and then tried to restart and it was frozen.. He also said the engine was very hot unnormally hot.

Welcome to the forum. The missing head bolt may have caused it to have an air leak causing it to run hot and the untimely death of the piston. A leak test before tearing it down could have confirmed the leak or possibly case damage from the broken piston. Do yourself and your wallet a favor and invest in a leak down tester. It is a must have for two stroke owners. And do not run it after the rebuild without testing it. A airleak on a fresh build will have you shopping for a new piston again.

Welcome to the forum. The missing head bolt may have caused it to have an air leak causing it to run hot and the untimely death of the piston. A leak test before tearing it down could have confirmed the leak or possibly case damage from the broken piston. Do yourself and your wallet a favor and invest in a leak down tester. It is a must have for two stroke owners. And do not run it after the rebuild without testing it. A airleak on a fresh build will have you shopping for a new piston again.

Great info thanks.. Is there a good place to get them cheap?

A member on here Slickerthanyou makes them and sells them. They are well built and very affordable. A must have tool for two strokes. Shoot him a PM. There are also posts on here to build your own, just use the search tab at the top of the page.

I would def say that the missing head bolt was the problem. you will never get a headgasket to seal without all the nuts. if you pull the topend and the piston isn't broken there is a good chance your crank might be ok. what you need to check for is smooth rotation in the crank and absolutely no up and down play in the big end rod bearing. some side to side is ok. so pull that jug off and let's get some pix of that thing

I pulled the top end out already.. Lower piston skirt broke and fell into the crank and its locked up. So I will probably either find a good used engine or try to rebuild this one or have come rebuild it. Anyway one in the Kansas City area want to rebuild it for me (-: Or I guess I could ship the engine. Let me know if someone is interested. I am trying to keep this fairly cheap. atleast to get it running but I would like it done right.

So a little update. I finally got some time to pull the engine out of the bike. The good news is I got all the chunks of piston out of the lower end without splitting the case. I am curious if there is a way to flush out all the small pieces adn just have my top end bored and a new piston? Everything seems to spin smoothly and I think just a light flush of fluids would get most of the small chunks out of the lower end. I am worried about what has got ground into the bearings and small areas.
Any thoughts?

Also the oil canister in the back had zero oil in it. I assume the guy either ran it out of oil or the head bolt missing caused it. I am almost 99% he never took the head off and lost the bolt that way.

Also I did order a 03 plus hood and I also ordered a vito oil injection block off. I am going to take the engine and cylinder to a engine rebuild shop down the street. next week and get his thoughts on it.

Thanks so far for all the help you guys have given me.

You're likely going to have to splt the cases. The piston skirt, if it breaks, the piecies usually crack or break the inner cases.

So I highly recommend you split the cases to find out. The will either need to be repaired or replaced.

Sporty

So a little update. I finally got some time to pull the engine out of the bike. The good news is I got all the chunks of piston out of the lower end without splitting the case. I am curious if there is a way to flush out all the small pieces adn just have my top end bored and a new piston? Everything seems to spin smoothly and I think just a light flush of fluids would get most of the small chunks out of the lower end. I am worried about what has got ground into the bearings and small areas.
Any thoughts?

Also the oil canister in the back had zero oil in it. I assume the guy either ran it out of oil or the head bolt missing caused it. I am almost 99% he never took the head off and lost the bolt that way.

Also I did order a 03 plus hood and I also ordered a vito oil injection block off. I am going to take the engine and cylinder to a engine rebuild shop down the street. next week and get his thoughts on it.

Thanks so far for all the help you guys have given me.

if its a 06 why did you buy a 03+ hood???????

its actually a 1995... I am taking the sqaure headlight off and then just putting 03+ hood on with a mesh grill no headlight. I am debating if I want to strip it down entirely and repaint frame. I think since i have it this far I am going to. I appreciate the help guys.