New to blasters....best mods for the money?

Toddmac

Dec 15, 2008
Independence, MO
Hey everyone!
We just bought a 2002 Blaster today, she is bone stock and I was wondering what the best things are to start with first for better performance. We will be mostly trail riding, some hill climbing.
I have a heavily modded Honda 250R and I want my sons to get into riding so we have picked up this Blaster and a 98 Warrior here in the last couple weeks. Everything else we own had been modded somewhat but the Blaster is a fresh canvas so to speak and I definately want it to be able to ride with the Warrior.
Thanks for any ideas! I'm not looking to switch to a big bore or something expensive to start, just looking for maybe pipes, gearing, reeds etc...things I can knock out pretty quickly and reasonably priced for the most part.
Excellent site by the way!!!! I already discovered my missing owners manual and a service manual. Thanks to those that provided that stuff...excellent!!

here is what you shoudl do in order.

remove the oil injection

buy a pipe

buy a new air filter (K&N or UNI)

when you have more cash build a 240 BB P&P stroker motor.

Last edited:
Start with a pipe. id say remove the airbox lid as well and maybe toss some vforce3 reeds in it and a bigger carb like a 30mm. maybe a port and polish by someone known for good blaster work on here like kennedy, flotek or wildcard.

suspensions crap stock so id say, if you have the money, you can always find decend deals on extended a arms and some shocks. id say go with some +3+1 a arms and whatever shocks you can find. yfz450 fronts work with +3 +1's. maybe toss a 400ex rear shock on there. raises it up a bit and way bettwer shock. they go for really cheap too if you look around on ebay.

tires. gets some razr's all around, or atleast the rears. the stock ballon rear tires are crap.

14/40 gearing and 20" rear razr's.

enough to get ya started?

Remove oil injection and premix your gas. Thats very important! Get some exhuast and reeds. Banshee front shocks are a big improvement over stock and are a direct bolt on. 400ex and Z400 rear shock are also a big improvement but take alil modification but there is a Do it Yourself on here about that.

Thanks for all the ideas! I will start looking into things and get it in the works, I do know that oil injection has to go, that scares the piss out of me! I think I would rather do the mixin myself and know I put oil in it!!!
Is that inj removal a big deal, I saw a kit on Ebay that was like 30 bucks...is that all there is to it?? Block it off, change the gaskets I removed and I am in business that quick?

Injection removal is not that hard. You can get the kit, or you can just buy a new case side seal, open things up, remove the plastic gear that drives the oil pump, but keep the oil pump there (removing it would leave a hole in the case...the bock off kit gives an aluminum plate to replace the pump...either way works). Remove all hoses and plug up the hole in the carb.

32:1 would be a good start, it also depends on the oil used.
As far as mods, get a pipe, filter, reeds and rejet the carb, this should open the blaster up some. If you are looking to save money, buy a used pipe. If you want to spend some more money, look into getting a port job and a bigger carb, also rejet for more. This will open the blaster up even more.

Most people run 32:1 but I was told by Yamaha when they rebuilt my engine (because I didnt know how simple 2 strokes were at the time) to break it in with 32:1 then just run 40:1 in it which is less oil.

i would say do research on pipes and get what you want to begin with. you can get fmf's cheap but may not be what you want. look around the forum... there is A LOT of info on pipes on here... look up the pipe war and check out he dyno's for yourself.

i premix about 40:1. reeds are good improvement. i like my boysen 2 stage reeds, but from what i've heard the (more expensive) v-force 3's can't be beat.

definately remove your airbox lid. it's a great hindrance to performance. bigger carb would be good too. maybe a port and polish in the future :)

Hey I did some looking and found a guy here in town with a LRD Right side pipe and silencer and also a Vitos fat bastard pipe and silencer....good prices too I think. 150 for one and 175 for the other.
I think I am gonna snatch up one of those. Anyone recommend one over the other? I know squat about either but they are both pretty dang sweet looking and I need one.

get the fat bastard 175 if a f*cking steeeeeaaaall i got min for 325
oh and also what the gu above me said.. it pulls much better than other pipes ( plus its load :-D)

Well I think Im gonna get hosed on getting the pipe I wanted :( so my next available option is a guy that has a mint cond FMF...I did some reading here and I see em getting slammed some, but I also see folks seem to use em a lot. It will get us by till I get $$ to step up to a better one.
I was wondering if someone could give me a good ball park on the initial carb setup with the following. Main Jetting and such.

Engine has been bored...not sure how much yet, but just enough to clean it up and change the piston I am sure.
K and N filter w/ no lid on airbox...for now anyways.
Dropping one tooth on the front sprocket
FMF pipe with core2 (?) silencer...cant remember what the silencer is called.
Stock head, stock carb
TORS gone
Carbon Fiber reeds in the stock cage with a spacer.

That's all I can think of that we have planned to happen in the next couple weeks. I lucked out and found a local Blaster guy that sells a lot of stuff so that's F'n awesome. He does extended swing arms so that is probably gonna happen along with flippin the front wheels and for now..spacers on the back till I can get a wider axle. My wife is close to cutting off my sack :"> so it's all being bought in stages. Oh yeah, I snagged a 400ex shock for it too the other day!
Thanks for any ideas, I know I will need to test it and do some plug readings but I wanted to order a few jets and want to kinda be close on the initial.
On another note....does anyone run the 1" filters in the air box lid? The places we ride can be pretty muddy and watery at times, so although I know not having a lid would help a huge amount, I also know what happens when ya feed dirty water ( or clean for that matter) to the engine...been there and done that with my 250R. I had given thought to punching several holes in the lid and adding those small filters, which prob clog faster than sh*t...if anyone has any feedback on using those I would like to hear about it!

Most people run 32:1 but I was told by Yamaha when they rebuilt my engine (because I didnt know how simple 2 strokes were at the time) to break it in with 32:1 then just run 40:1 in it which is less oil.

thats weird they told you that
usually according to the manuals ive read, they recommend for break-in to double your ratio, i ran 16:1 for break-in
thats also weird that they told you 40:1,
thats what i would recommend, but usually a dealer tries to save their ass and tell you to play it safe

A pipe is going to be one of the most important parts to start with. The best bang for your buck though is going to be a good P&P job. I had mine done by Flotek and love it, I have also heard great things about Kennedy_power. Either of them would be a great place to start for building a monster or just a little more pep for when you need it. With a port job though, you will need to have a pipe and a carb to get the power out of it the stock ones just wont cut it.
As far as running with the warrior, no problem. you should have no problem keeping up with a warrior stock. The biggest difference (other than the obvious 2-stroke V.S. 4-stroke torque) would likely be in the suspension. I have only ridden one warrior and it was on a paved road with a flat tire so I didn't really get a feel for the suspension but it almost has to be better than a blaster.
And last but not least BLOCK OFF YOUR OIL INJECTION AND RUN PRE-MIX!!!I:I

Any ideas on the jetting? I saw a couple of signatures that had similar setups as mine. I may end up using what they had listed for jets to start out.

My old 87 warrior I used to have was ok suspension wise, but the 98 has Banshee shocks all the way around and it appears to work great. I haven't got to really test it but it feels good and seems very stable as it is now. Other than I have a huge freakin hole in my airbox I need to make a cover for. My airbox now houses a filter and a shock reservoir :)