New to 2 strokes please help!

gb blaster

Apr 19, 2012
Maryland
Alright so ive never owned a 2 stroke before this blaster... im pretty sure my bike doesnt have power band... what causes that... i think it may have a lil bit but theres no burst of speed like i was expecting the bike runs right but there is a few problems... i bought it for real cheap so i was expecting some of these problems but im finding out alot of things about 2 strokes... there not the same as 4 strokes thats for sure... first of the pipe is messed up the peice connecting the silencer to the other part is missing right now i have a hose clamp an a peice of radiator hose... an the gasket is missing that connects the exhaust to the block... im working on fixing that now... the bike is all stock from what i can tell... the oil injection was plugged off but the carb wastn im gonna fix that this weekend. but thats pretty much the background on the bike from what i know... the plugs foul a good bit to... so i was wondering how do i tell waht size jets are in the bike an how do i determine what size it needs to be ( i do know how to get to the carb an the jets i just dont know how to tell the size... an how to decide what size i actually need) any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

The size of the jet is stamped on the side of it. You need to do a compression test,leak down test,check your jetting. Do not ride till you do all this and fix the carb.

Hello and welcome
1ºst the carb oil injection inlet MUST be plugged or else you get a BIG air leak and a lean mix and you can destroy you r motor like that
Do that first
Then make sure your running premix (32:1 good quality oil )
Then and only then start it up again

The radiator hose fix is fine if in good shape

If your running all stock including air filter and lid then a main jet 230 or 240 will be good but if your running along time with that air leak you might allready need rings and bore... sorry ...

Nuno

The size of the jet is stamped on the side of it. You need to do a compression test,leak down test,check your jetting. Do not ride till you do all this and fix the carb.

Thats it. That gutless feel might be from a leak in the pipe or improper jetting. And make sure you're mixing 32:1 or that top end will be done! Anything you need can be found with the search feature in the option bar, that is your best friend.

dont want too run it too lean or u will fry your motor....the stock main should be a 230....if u have a aftermarket exhaust system u should probably be running atleast a 260 main and thats with the airbox lid on....by the way BF kicks ass....biggest service manual online :)

i have kinda been running it a while with that f*cking carb unplugged =( idk about all this at first... an im not running it anymore till my leak down tester gets here from slickerthenyou... an it did recently start smoking but after i changed the gas that could be the rings gone or hopefully just the oil mix =( im gonna take a couple pictures of the carb an i think i might take the top end off an check the pistion rings an cylender an take pictures if you guys would check back on this is a couple days at most an tell me what you think that would be greatly appreciated.=(( i didnt know about these air leaks problems but thanks for the jetting information... an if anything to be on the safe side would it be better to increase my jetting size to a little bigger if its 230 because of the exhaust problem an all?... an saying my cylinder is messed up from running it what would i have to do to fix that problem an a reliable fix? this jus ruined my weekend friday

dont you need a compression tester to do that i dont have one of those man... ugh i hope my bike isnt already messed up i should have got all this information first looked everything over then rode it. an my buddy knows how to do a compression test but idk when he can do it he works like every single day

They have a loan a tool program at Autozone. You can get one there and do it. You install the gauge, hold throttle wide open, kick it over till the gauge needle stops rising.

how much is it to loan it? ... an your saying hold the throttle wide open kick it an let go of the throttle when the needel stops rising? an do this with the bike on or off ?? it sounds dangerous to do wit this the bike turned on run when it starts it will be wide open in nutral. what should the compression be anyways for a blaster?

The quad won't start, the tester replaces the spark plug (take the plug out and screw in the compression tester, be sure you use the right adapter). Holding the throttle wide open lets the engine pull in air, that gets compressed to show the pressure on the gauge.

You have to take the pipe off to replace the gasket, while you got it off, take a look at the piston and rings for any damage.

You say it fouls plugs a lot, are you using oil that is used in weedeaters, chainsaws or outboards. You must use 2 stroke oil designed for air cooled motorcycles.

rented the gauge from auto zone tooke the tanj off heled the trottle wide open in nutraul kicked it about 12-13 times before it maxed out at about 128 130 gauge was spaced by fives so it was basically on 130 tho is that goid compression or is my cylender an all fried.

rented the gauge from auto zone tooke the tanj off heled the trottle wide open in nutraul kicked it about 12-13 times before it maxed out at about 128 130 gauge was spaced by fives so it was basically on 130 tho is that goid compression or is my cylender an all fried.

That's why I told you to check it before you pulled the jug. Saved you some time and gaskets.

that's very good compression, sounds like your cylinder and piston are safe for now
leakdown test before riding it again
and report those results

Oh alright well great that's good so does that mean all the parts in my top end sre fine ( pistion rings cylender an all) or does that mean my top end is jus sealin correct?... an yeah either way a bit of good news now I guess I'm gonna do some ehaust an carb work... to be on the safe side what should my jets be?... I'm pretty dsrn sure its all stock however I'm not 100 percent... an ill jus fix the exaust an plugg the injection nipple on the carb off.