New Pipe Cleaned with foil.

Ok just got off the phone with a very nice and helpful gentleman from FMF. The pipe does take a spring it is a standard 55 mm exhaust spring. This spring is not required due to having the two mounting studs for the flange. They recommend using the spring to hold things tight incase one of the bolts back out. It helps prevent leaks.
Sometimes info from the OEM is best ! Smart manufactures provide customers phone hotlines, they want to know how their products are being used and supported ,its good PR too.

This spring is not required due to having the two mounting studs for the flange. They recommend using the spring to hold things tight incase one of the bolts back out. It helps prevent leaks.

you must have misunderstood the FMF guy, or it was his first day on the job ?
you most certainly do need the spring, to hold the pipe tight to the flange, on every 2 stroke pipe i've ever seen.
it has nothing to do with the 2 studs/nuts holding the flange to the cylinder.

you must have misunderstood the FMF guy, or it was his first day on the job ?
you most certainly do need the spring, to hold the pipe tight to the flange, on every 2 stroke pipe i've ever seen.
it has nothing to do with the 2 studs/nuts holding the flange to the cylinder.
I think he got a little mixed up in explaining what he was told.

When the exhaust port starts barking into the pipe you will see what the spring is for.

There is one aftermarket pipe that uses no spring DMC Alien.