new member with a couple questions

B

bcook07

Hi everyone
i got a blaster from my cousin last weekend. it was "locked up" but i got it all freed up and everything looks good. i have a couple questions

1) the carb on the blaster was bought off ebay and never installed. the oil injection fitting on the carb was plugged with a vaccuum line cap. i tried getting the quad to start with the oil injection off and by using pre mixed gas. the thing sputters and dies and backfires alot. will it work better if i use the oil injection and non mixed gas?

2)what are some basic carb settings to start from to tune the carb? idle screw? air screw?

3)i read you can use 10W-30 in the transmission. will motorcraft 10W-30 work? its a partially synthetic oil

thanks for the help in advance and i am hoping to learn alot from the forum.

thanks
ben

what ratio are u premixing at? well the oil pump is not reliable because there is a plastic gear in there that shreds and causes major damage. do not us automotive trans fluid or ones that contain friction modifiers. what jet sizes do u have in the carb?

i am not sure what ratio it is at...this may sound dumb but it is weed eater gas.

the fluid i put in is motor oil 10W-30, not transmission fluid

i have no clue what jet size is in there...this quad came from my cousin in peices. he gave it to me because he is dumb and thought it was locked up and has no clue about anything mechanical...but anyway, the carb came from ebay, he bought it. i know nothing about it

eeeeeeee weedwhacker gas is bad

get a ratio cup at your local store and mix at 32:1 or even 40:1 with a good 2 stroke oil

how does bel-ray gear saver work, good? not so good? is it an additive?? or is it an actual tranny oil u can use by itsself??

Last edited:
ok...so the Lucas semi synthetic 2 cycle oil is good?. i work at an Oreillys and that is one of the 2 stroke oils we carry so i got it.

how does bel-ray gear saver work, good? not so good? is it an additive?? or is it an actual tranny oil u can use by itsself??

bel-ray gear saver oil is a special blend of tranny oil specialy made for offroad vehicule like motocross and quad but dont put thats stuff in the winter you will never be able to kick start your engine ig its cold where you live!!but one of the best oil in the market for tranny!!!

still wondering what carb settings i should use initially. i know the air screw is out 1 turn...i thought i read somewhere on here to go 1 1/2 but i dont know.

from what i can tell, yes it is a stock carb. the manual i got with the bike has helped me out a ton but not on this.

screw te air screw in all the way and then back it out 1.5 - 2 full turns out...that should put you in the range you need to be...

bel-ray gear saver oil is a special blend of tranny oil specialy made for offroad vehicule like motocross and quad but dont put thats stuff in the winter you will never be able to kick start your engine ig its cold where you live!!but one of the best oil in the market for tranny!!!

Really.. Iv always been a big fan of Belray lubes and use Gear Saver is all my bikes.. and i dont thhink ive ever had a problem kick starting in the winter time?? Although i do let my bike warm up longer during the winter with the thicker gear oils...

ok...how do i block off the injection...will the vaccume cap on the carb inlet work? or is there more i need to do?...any threads on here with a how-to?

ok...how do i block off the injection...will the vaccume cap on the carb inlet work? or is there more i need to do?...any threads on here with a how-to?
ther is a lots more to it you need to buy a oil injection block-off kit,and open the casing on the side od the clutch after draining the oil,and remove the oil pump, and gear, put the block off remove the oil line from the pump to the oil tank remove the oil tank and block the carb and thats about itI:I

ok, the kit i saw on ebay had a for the gasket for the cover, a block off plate and gasket for the pump and a couple rubber looking stoppers for the oil lines...what do i have to block off in the carb? i am looking to do it without the kit if possible

just the hole where the oil injection line come in ,go see vito's web site block-off its not thats expensive and you are sure evrithing is perfectly done !!!