New member BonesZ33

bonesZ33

Apr 28, 2011
Albemarle, NC
Hey everybody, just like to say I'm happy to have found the website,

Name is Will, I'm an auto tech and been working on cars for a long time, New to ATV forum but I'm a seasoned car forum enthusiast (350z) :p been riding 4 wheelers as a younger kid, but have never owned one myself, Finally been getting into it more and am going to pick it up as a hobby. I just picked up an extra blaster motor as a starting point while i wait and look for the right blaster to pop up on craigslist.. looking to spend around 500-700$ cash for an older model. After lots of research decided the blaster was going to be my ATV of choice for a couple reasons.

- 2 stroke
- 6 spd with clutch
- small and lightweight
- cheap and lots of parts available

I got some wooded trails in my new houses backyard along with a 200 yard field.. but would love to find some new trails in my area.. Anyone from the Charlotte area?.. I'm located near Albemarle NC.

Anyways lots of great info on this site I've already been reading... one question i couldn't find was the differences between the blasters and changes of each year and which was the best to get.

Thanks everyone

William

well the only changes that were made was
88-89 didnt have factory floor boards/heel guards andhad shorter pegs
03-newer hydro brakes all around headlight one the front plastics had a brake light

prob a few other little things but nothin big get 03 and newer becuase the older ones had crappy brakes (cable)

well the only changes that were made was
88-89 didnt have factory floor boards/heel guards andhad shorter pegs
03-newer hydro brakes all around headlight one the front plastics had a brake light

prob a few other little things but nothin big get 03 and newer becuase the older ones had crappy brakes (cable)

cool , so i can save some cash on getting an older year.. is it easy to convert the hydro brakes to the 2002s and older and how much do people sell thm for. is it even worth it to switch?

also i heard the 2003+ were lighter in weight, is this true? If so by how much?

Thanks

cool , so i can save some cash on getting an older year.. is it easy to convert the hydro brakes to the 2002s and older and how much do people sell thm for. is it even worth it to switch?

also i heard the 2003+ were lighter in weight, is this true? If so by how much?

Thanks

There are many ways to convert to hydros. For rear, I'd suggest awk08's GSXR kit. It mounts GSXR breaks to the rear. Also, if you want front, I'd do Norms Spindles. A guy named norman makes them on here. It will mount banshee front brakes. PM both of them for more information. It is definitely a worth-while conversion.

As for weight, I doubt it changed much if at all. If anything, 03+ is probably heavier due to the new headlight configuration and disk brakes all around. But it would be within a couple pounds, nothing to worry about.

There are many ways to convert to hydros. For rear, I'd suggest awk08's GSXR kit. It mounts GSXR breaks to the rear. Also, if you want front, I'd do Norms Spindles. A guy named norman makes them on here. It will mount banshee front brakes. PM both of them for more information. It is definitely a worth-while conversion.

As for weight, I doubt it changed much if at all. If anything, 03+ is probably heavier due to the new headlight configuration and disk brakes all around. But it would be within a couple pounds, nothing to worry about.

awesome man, good to hear, thanks for your imput!

welcome to the sickness bro, keep us posted as you progress with your build

Wattup Bones???
Welcome aboard bro, glad to have ya.

No doubt, ANY blaster is a good score and a great foundation for modding to your liking...

As said, not MUCH difference through the years besides the Hydro's and the headlight kit/nose, and NO, not much weight difference at all, really...

absolute X2 on the hydro conversion, and you HAVE to score an AWK08 custom GSXR rear hydro kit for a pre-2003, it is a no brainer, GOOD STUFF.
He's the man, just PM him to get the ball rollin' in that time of need, he will hook a brutha up!!!! I:I

Check out these links below, they "tell the tale" to your comparison questions...

2006 / 2002 comparison

Blaster WiKi

Welcome! I'd try to snag a 03+ just to have the disk brake conversion already one less thing to do! But you can get just about any part for any year off of this forum.

thanks guys, thanks for the links... I'll def keep my eye open for a 2003 +.. hopefully something will pop up for under 1000 around me.

thanks guys, thanks for the links... I'll def keep my eye open for a 2003 +.. hopefully something will pop up for under 1000 around me.

No prob, but by all means don't hold your breath on a 2003+, as prolly 90% of us are running pre 2003's and have custom retrofitted hydro setups, other goodies, etc. Most of the hydro retrofits are 200% better than the stocky 2003+ blastee hydro's anyway, so grab what ya can when ya can get it...

The rest is down hill from there... I:I

Nice bones!!! good grab.

How much $$??
any mods?
aftermarket parts?

details, details, PICS, PICS!!!!!! I:I

93 blaster
got it for 500$
Runs strong, missing a few things
Idk if its stock or not but its definitely been messed with, It has the oil pump disconnected(not deleted) which I'm going to block off soon, Its missing the rear brake, there's no key ignition, no headlight or tail light, and one of the front shocks is blown, other than that it pulls strong and runs really good.
No aftermarket bolt-on parts that I can see, The plastics were mix matched and painted. I'll have pictures soon I just left for the weekend.

Did you get a title for it??? Sounds kinda fishy with the key switch disabled and painted plastics. But all in all sounds like a good deal. Needs some work though. Oh and Welcome.

Did you get a title for it??? Sounds kinda fishy with the key switch disabled and painted plastics. But all in all sounds like a good deal. Needs some work though. Oh and Welcome.

I didn't, i didn't even bother to ask for a bill of sale.. the quad is so old and worthless i really could care less haha.. the vin number checked out fine though which is visable, i looked it up on a online database, Ya once i order some shocks for it she'll be set, i was still riding the heck outa it anyways! i got a lot to do it , im excited. I'll get some pictures up once I get back on monday