new guy with his first blaster!

mustangdave

Nov 24, 2013
washburn iowa
hey there guys, new here to the forums. just picked up my first blaster last week, got a real fair price on it because it needs a new top end. seems like a really fun winter project. I learned about this site because every question about my new blaster that I typed in the search bar blasterforum.com had my answer! lol this site has been extremely helpful to me so I decided to become a member. im a blaster newb but I have a good amount of automotive knowledge because im a technician and have built a few small block fords for me and my friends mustangs so hopefully my questions wont be all that stupid lol. anyways just thought id introduce myself, thanks guys!

Welcome Dave. You will enjoy your Blaster when Its finished. Lots of good info here to help you along with your build. Put up some pics of it if you get a chance.

Fred

Hi Dave and welcome to BF.

The only stupid question is the one that is not asked.

Now you have a 2 stroke in the stable, leak test it right away.

here she is, its a 2000. when I tore into the top end I found a wiseco piston and some sort of aluminum intake spacer? not sure if its stock or if it helps on these motors. it has a full DG exaust (heard these are the worst of aftermarket pipes) and is otherwise stock... for now lol. I plan on putting a fair amount of money and work into this little bike especially because of the price I got it for. I just feel like it deserves it because its one of the last 2 stroke quads ever produced and I love the feel of 2 stroke power!:p

oops now here she is lol just found out how to put up pics

Attachments

• htt.jpg
    htt.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 331
  • hff.jpg
    hff.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 350
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Dave and welcome to BF.

The only stupid question is the one that is not asked.

Now you have a 2 stroke in the stable, leak test it right away.

yah I did a compression check and it had 5 pounds, tore into the top end and found that the piston had seizure marks and a small chunk missing in the skirt towards the top. a new wiseco and cometic gasket is on the way soon, hopefully .20 or .30 over will clear up the light scores

yah I did a compression check and it had 5 pounds, tore into the top end and found that the piston had seizure marks and a small chunk missing in the skirt towards the top. a new wiseco and cometic gasket is on the way soon, hopefully .20 or .30 over will clear up the light scores

I hate to dampen your day, but you will need to split the cases and remove all the traces of piston from the case and bearings.

I hate to dampen your day, but you will need to split the cases and remove all the traces of piston from the case and bearings.

yah that's what I was thinking since it would kick over I thought any material from the piston would probably be in the crank case. out of all the bikes ive had ive never had one long enough to go thru the bottom end, ill probably be best off to get a Clymer manual

heres the piston and cylinder. I think that if the piston wasn't a wiseco it would have shattered the skirt, you get what you pay for! does anyone know what these marks are from? seizure marks from over expansion cause of running hot? im unsure.

Attachments

• hgt.jpg
    hgt.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 233
  • hytt.jpg
    hytt.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 233
Detonation caused by improper jetting or more than likely an air leak.

2 strokes should be leak tested often they are very prone to destructive air leaks which cause a lean mixture.

Is that tapering on the piston crown caused by material burning off or has someone taken a file to it to improve port timing.

it appears to be machined, maybe factory?

Lowering the piston crown causes the gases to exit before they are fully combusted, it can also interfere with the back ramming of the expelled fuel charge returning from the pipe.

By the looks of it they have taken off way too much.

Please post a pic of the crown.