New but no noob

snake61047

Mar 9, 2013
Northern Illinois
Hi, Im new to the site but not a noob to the whole wrench thing. I have been wrenching and tuning for 11 years. I bught a 03 blaster last summer. Ive been reading posts but not really finding any info im looking for. I am just wondering what things can make better improvements on the machine. Im gonna pipe it later. It already has a toomey silencer on a stock pipe, not sure why. i am running it without an airbox lid and eliminated the oil injection. Is there a good jet for a stock engine other than stock jetting. It seems fat to me. Is there a benifit to advancing the timing. i saw a 4 degree keyway for a banshee, would it work?

Thanks Josh

Stock is #230.

Airbox lid off = 2 sizes more #250

Premix at 32:1 = 1 more size #260

Do not bother buying an advance key, remove the stator plate and elongate the bolt holes 3mm with a round file, this will give +4 degs.

You will not gain any more power but it will come on the pipe sooner.

Ya I was referring to ignition timing. Now I understand that advancing the timing will not give me more power but it will allow power sooner in the rpm range.

alright. i rejetted the machine today. it had a 220 not a 230, and the dealer only had a 250 in stock so i ran it. I have a foam filter in the quad but i never oiled it. should i have? Im in the market for the head pipe from toomey. just waitin for money. What are the Boysen psr? Are they like the carbon fiber reeds in my sled? what else can i do to give my quad better pep and ride? thanks guys

yep, all filters require oil
K&N oil for those or any gauze filter
foam filter oil for those
do not mix oil/filters, use whats intended.

and yes, carbon fiber reeds, adds no power, just crisper/quicker throttle response

you're going to need to "plug chop" for any and all changes you make with flow into or out of the engine.
add a filter = richer jetting
remove the airbox lid = richer jetting
add a pipe = richer jetting (different pipes require different jets)
this is cumalative, the more you aid air/exhaust flow, the richer you must go

you cannot just throw in what the dealer had on hand,
there's only one way to tell if you have it correct and not fry chit !!!..........

http://www.blasterforum.com/do-yourself-20/how-plug-chop-38674/

add an aftermarket filter today = plug chop
add a pipe next month = plug chop again
take the airbox lid off an hour later - yep, you guessed it... plug chop again, :)
time to grab a six pack of plugs

I understand the reason behind plug chops and adjusting jetting after each mod. I have two modified sleds. The reason I asked about the filter was because the dealer said nothing when I bought it. I had to oil my pod filters on my sleds. I wasn't sure since it was in an air box.

Also it was estimated three jet sizes from stock for no air box lid and premix. I am just verifying because I didn't have a 230 my. Only a 220. I will do a plug chop when it gets warmer and I have time to ride.

That sounds about right , no lid = 2 jet sizes, premix at 32:1 = 1 size more, but you should confirm with a plug chop, temperature and elevation can mean 2 sizes either way.

alright. i rejetted the machine today. it had a 220 not a 230, and the dealer only had a 250 in stock so i ran it. I have a foam filter in the quad but i never oiled it. should i have? Im in the market for the head pipe from toomey. just waitin for money. What are the Boysen psr? Are they like the carbon fiber reeds in my sled? what else can i do to give my quad better pep and ride? thanks guys
yes you can use filter or you can use chainsaw bar oil in small quanties does the seam thing from what i hear. Boyesen PRS reeds are their Pro series Reeds their carbon fiber and give great respose for those on a budget.
with premix, no lid full pipe and potentially redesigned head I would guesstimate a 280-300 main jet for your bike

yes you can use filter or you can use chainsaw bar oil in small quanties does the seam thing from what i hear. Boyesen PRS reeds are their Pro series Reeds their carbon fiber and give great respose for those on a budget.
with premix, no lid full pipe and potentially redesigned head I would guesstimate a 280-300 main jet for your bike

At what temp? the stock jetting chart is confusing because it states that i can run the stock jet down to 32 degrees. im looking into a redesigned head and possible cylinder porting.

stock jetting im fuzzy about but you would still have to plug chop with those jets and those mods in temprature from 55-80 degree or so I would assume to get a perfectly reliable reading from a 1-5-6 gear wide open throttle run anyway cause as the temps warm up your jets are gonna change anyhow