Never know what you'll find !

Larry's Shee

Technician
May 23, 2009
Ortskaville, MI
So this guy conntacts me about his Blaster,hard start/won't start. Says he cleand carb :rolleyes:.

First thing I notice is TORS cap is only partway on.
Ask about that, and few other things.
What kind of oil you use? "I dunno, we just pour some gas and oil in tank and shake the quad"
"It fouls plugs so I brought extras"
BR9es :rolleyes:
So I explain about the fuelmix, what kind of oil, why the plug is wrong. And why year old gas is bad.

I soaked the carb overnite, clean everything up, lube cable/throttle, etc.
So after several kicks (not impressed) it starts. Letting it warm up and tweeking the air screw, blipping the throttle.

Suddenly this thing takes off for the moon. Well, of course the kill switch didn't work :eek:.
You know the drill.
So thought maybe the ugly slide was problem, checked but operated well.
After it cooled off, I start it again with couple kicks (better).
As it gets warm, ZOOM

Time for leak down.:mad:
Blowing air out vent like no tomorrow :(
Pull clutch cover,virtually no oil in trans.
Oil seal is blown out so bad that there was nothing left for the keeper to hold. Literally 4-5 pieces.

Who'd of thought that it could run with no seal in there :eek:

Well, he doesn't seem very mecanicaly inclined so I don't know if a repair manual would do much good.
Seals are already on way. This thing is worse than mine if that's possible :eek:
Murdered paint job, no front brakes. The good is Pro Circut& silencer, 260m, alum grab bar

Lol. I had a guy call me yesterday that asked why his wouldn't run. It was an engine that I built a few months back, so I know it passes a leak test and that the jetting is right.

"I let it sit up and it won't run."

"Did you clean the carb? Was it running alright when you ran it last? Did you put new gas in it?"

"yeah, yeah, yeah"

"sounds like you need to clean the carb."

"Can I bring it to you?"

"... sure."

Reactions: DeJay1206
Ugly slide in carb. Kinda deep scratches, most of black coating worn off.

While putting clutch together I found one of the clutch plates bent in a weird way. Dig one out of parts, clean it up, good to go. I did tell him that because it (trans) was sucked dry of oil to not be surprised if clutch or other parts fail.