Needs a new clutch huh? No kidding...

I

I_Sneebarted

I picked this Blaster up for free with a rough idea of what kind of work it needed and the hopes of either getting it decent enough to sell or keep for myself as a beater quad to play around on. The dude said it needed a new clutch and new tires, since he decided to shoot them out with a crossbow when he decided he didn't want to get it running again.

After bringing it home and taking a good look at it I decided that it definitely wasn't worth the cost of fixin' it up just to turn around and sell, much less keep the little thing. I've now decided to just go with parting it out instead, but after tearing'er down a bit here's what I've found...

sdc10177pe8.jpg

sdc10174zu5.jpg

sdc10172hq5.jpg

sdc10167eb3.jpg

sdc10178qk4.jpg

If you didn't notice from the pics, the teeth on the clutch basket that come in contact with the primary gear have been sheered off completely smooth. In the last picture is the inside of the clutch cover that's just covered in aluminum shavings.

My run down of what may have happened: the moron cranked it up and went wide open immediately,running through the gears down a gravel covered levee in his wife beater and sandals when "!$@#&*!&&#%^^&$%^!!!!!!!!" happened (cold seizure at four points on the piston locks up the top end, and all that built up momentum of the drive-train had nowhere to go, causing the soft aluminum teeth to be pulverized away by the steel primary gear which appears unscathed from the incident.)

So, would you guys agree with me? If so, is it safe to say that all I need to do is extensively clean out the tranny, find a whole new clutch assembly on ebay and possibly a top-end rebuild? (surprisingly the jug looks just about perfect.)

This is the first time I've ever seen a case like this, but I mostly work on bikes.. where they're one wheel short in the back minus a long heavy axle, so maybe this isn't too rare with frozen-up quads? :">

Surprisingly the cylinder itself looks just about as new as the one in my YZ that's still on it's stock piston. I'd expect it to be a little scored up, but not one bit... cross hatching is almost completely distinguishable.

sdc10169lu7.jpg

Out of round a little bit? There's a chance. Enough to care about if I sell it as a rebuilt used motor? Not really.

As for the clutch, I've seen complete assemblies (plates, basket, pressure plate, ect.) going used for fiddy dollars or so. I may be able to snag one of them.

Anything else I may need to check and replace as a result of this failure? Since I've already parted out a good bit, I can't exactly test this motor out before I put it up for auction. :(

blasters are tough little SOB's....clutch and piston seem to be pretty common replacements, but that's usually it. You would need to split the case to look at the actual transmission, but guessing by your pictures it is probably alright. Clutch basket looks like it took the brunt of the damage.

And even if the cylinder looks clean..I'd get a new piston and bore it .20 over to be safe.