Need some A/C advice (central air)

slickerthanyou

Dec 23, 2009
The fan motor wasn't running. Shut the breakers off- go out side ya it's 2:30 in the flipping am, sweatin my balls off- half kicked in the ass- i take the screws out of the top of the unit- flip it up to access the motor was warmer than I though it should be, so I decided see if the fan would spin freely, sure enough spun both directions no hang ups. I put the top back on and then turned on the breakers, went up and turned on thermostat, and A/c kicked on and so did the blower motor as it should. Went out and checked the fan, it running now, but it it running in the wrong direction? WTF just happened? I didn't move no wires. How the f does the motor turn in reverse from a pulling fan to a pushing fan.. Impossible IMO! But happened! IT still doesn't cool, so something is wrong? Brushes in the fan motor? Compressor? Any HVAC guys out there what u think? I can change a motor, Solder some lines but that's as far as I could get into it. No gauges for 22 refrigerant. The unit is 10 years old, we put it in when we moved in and replaced the furnace too!

not sure if the refrigerant has anything to do with the motor starting ????

i'd also check to see if the thermostat is actually telling it to cool ???
as in..... use a multimeter to confirm voltage output on the cooling terminal when calling for a/c
could just be a bad thermostat ???

also look to see if the wifey kicked that little side button to "heat"
just to fug with your drunken ass, hahahaaa

then...........

bad start capacitor if the motor will not start on it's own, try again today with out the canadian assistant !!!! hahahaaa

if motor won't start on it's own...............

your outside unit can run backwards and be made to draw in air in the winter to extract "heat" from it,
commonly used down south as/and even called a "heat pump"
but cool in the summer as we use them here

those motors are a split capacitor type and can be run in reverse,
or you spinning it to see if it was free, left it slightly spinning in reverse when you kicked the breaker back on, it will run in reverse when manually spun also, in either direction
leading me to beleive the start capacitor is bad, as you've proven the motor will run, (with a little help ???)
possibly try, VERY CAREFULLY, spin it while it's trying to start and use sumthin other than your hand, to see if it will run with assistance
if so, definately start capacitor

i've replaced some motor parts on my cousins pizza shop exhaust fans and had good luck with overnight delivery of parts from the GRANGER company

you'll need the exact model of the unit, and the model/serial #'s off that motor,
you prolly need sumthin like this hard start kit, but for your exact motor.................

Hard Start Kit, 1.5 Ton A/C Units - Central Equipment Accessories - Central Equipment - 1BAE8 : Grainger Industrial Supply

then i'd call them, not order online, the place i called was in altoona, about an hour from me, parts came before lunch the next day

according to the website there are 3 branches in pittsburgh.............

Grainger Industrial Supply

looks to be plug and play replacement parts ???
prolly only a 3 molson job !!!!!!!

Last edited:
AWK sounds about right. f*ckit though, get a new unit. If thats 10 years old your gonna wind up buying a new one soon anyway....and who doesnt LOVE cold AC!?

First off you knpw the molson made it all go down hill!!!!! The bud light would have made the job alot easier!!! bahahhahahahahahahhaha Joe hit on some great points for trubleshooting.If you need any other assistance i know some peeps in the trade that may be able to lend some advice bro.BTW this link is for you.hahahhahahahaha

Last edited by a moderator:
awesome commercial !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haaaaaaaaa! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man if i can fix it for fifty buck that would be great!

Update, i turned it on this morning and it was spinning in the correct direction but didn't seem like it was on "high speed". Also let it run for 1/2 hour not working! Still blowing warm air?? Got a call in to local HVAC guy, My mom gave me his number turns out, I grew up with him!! So a case of beer -Molson of course- should be back in buisiness, if it needs replaced so be it, It does have Copper lines.