Need opions on 450s

one more thing im probally not gonna be modding this.. i am taking a loan out on the one i choose and around here they run around 3500 so ill be taking a loan of 3000 out for 3 or 4 years and just wont have much left over after gas for my truck and money for gas for the quads.. so i wont be modding this the most ill do is a air filter..

But why does the LTR have 3rd gear problems??

one more thing im probally not gonna be modding this.. i am taking a loan out on the one i choose and around here they run around 3500 so ill be taking a loan of 3000 out for 3 or 4 years and just wont have much left over after gas for my truck and money for gas for the quads.. so i wont be modding this the most ill do is a air filter..

But why does the LTR have 3rd gear problems??

same reason the early rappys had 2nd gear problems.... factory flaws

like fed said, it's a factory flaw.

the only way to make sure you dont blow your bottom end is to buy the ATP gear....

my buddy has a ltr450 and has had it for a few years. its had no problems. he got exhaust, new ecm, k&n intake and a few other things. i rode it and its fast as hell. but theyre so low. we went rock climbing and he scraped on every rock. but im a yamaha guy as well.

i would go with the yfz..
my friend bought a yfz then piped it and all he rides is trails he said its by far the best machine he has ever riden..
yfz has the most valves at 5 so you would think it has the most room for power..
the seat might be hard but that suspension is oh so soft lol...
just go with the yfz the only down fall ive seen so far is the hard seat

like the people saying buy a 450r because there the fastest when modded and that the yfz has a hard seat,he doesnt want to mod it and if the seat is to unbearable you can have it recovered with extra foam cheap

we have one of each around here that i ride with, the yfz is a piece of junk, not a good trail machine, honda 450.. junk, hard to work on and worked on alot, the suzuki is proveing itself well, easy fixes, suuuper dependable and tough as nails. i say suzuki

thats what i saw my cousins got his had no problems with it and hes got a crf450 he rides the ltr my lol its a nice quad and over where he lives its all trails so my guees good trail quad

o and id like toadd theres a trx405r around here something in the bottom end blew out about 3 times so idk if thats a traight in em or not but figured id add that lol

there is something major wrong with all the 450s....
here are the bad parts.
Honda: Bad crank/crank bearings. (if you see copper/metal in your oil filter its time for a new crank)
Yamaha: weak subframes hard to make good power.
Suzuki: bad 3r gear.
Kawasaki: bad fuel injector, bad crank/bearings.
Can-am: weak frame, bad clutch. (but engine feels more like a 2-stroke when you ride it.)

so I really wouldn't let there flaw make your decision. go sit on them test them if possible. then choose....

Like said before.. every 450 has it's flaws.. You may get one and not have a bit of problems out of it and you may get one and have nothing but trouble out of it. I had a 05 450R which is suppose to have crank issues but I changed the oil about every 10 hrs and put about 200 hrs on it and no telling how many was on it before I got it and had no issues. The 06 up 450ER's have starter issues. Other issues have already been explained. It's a chance you take when buying a used bike. If I was in the market for another 450 it would be a Honda. I don't know who said it was hard to work on a Honda but they are crazy.

I have a can am ds450x and it is by far the best machine I have owned its the lightest 450 at 345lbs where the rest are close to 400 or over and it makes really good power,the clutch is a recall once fixed its fine and a really good machine and has proven its realibilty, some have problems with the frame in the front by the aarms but can am sells a race kit support for almost the whole frame and its makes it 20 times stronger

LTR! Actually, it depends. If you ride tight trails, it's a wide ride from the factory. Any other type of riding though is no prob with it, I use mine for both track and trails. Handling is superb in stock form, the stability of the LTR alone will make you a better rider. Are you buying new? If not, '06-'07 do not have the 3rd gear prob like the newer ones do. If you are buying new, like stated abone, ATP make's a billet 3rd gear.

If you plan on modding in any way, even just pipe/intake, don't even look at dirtwheels reviews on power/speed. Any of the 450's opened up to breath you would be happy with. Stock for stock, the LTR is by far the cheapest to make go fast. The honda is pretty bottled up stock, but can become a monster with some work. The YFZ's I can't comment on too much, never rode one, but around my area, everyone and there brother has one. The Kawi is nice in that it has reverse, but falls in the middle of the pack for power.

Just take the Honda and put a $125 Stage 2 hot cam, $199 HMF slipon and find a used HRC head pipe on ebay or the 450r forum cheap, do some air box mods for FREE, jet it and you will have a very strong running 450 with more low end then any other 450 besides the KTM. If you are riding trails you don't really need a lot of top end. You need more low to mid range power and that is what makes the 450R a great trail bike. Only downside is the 04 and 05 are kicker only and some 06 ups have starter problems. If adjusted right though the kickers are easy to start.