New to me blaster

jsahara24

May 4, 2015
Hello, new to the forum and to the blaster world. I grew up riding a Suzuki 230 quad sport, then got a Kawasaki Lakota 300 after college. Moved into a Yamaha Kodiak 450 4x4 which I still have and picked up an 01 completely stock blaster today.

My buddy left a blaster at my house for almost two years and I've been itching to get one since he took it back!

Its in pretty good shape with a handful of issues which I could use advice on. The clutch cable was shot but I picked one up on the way home today and put it on already. I need to figure out how to adjust it, ill do some searching. but its much better than before.

I checked the plug and it was loose! while I'm far from a two stroke guy I know that's bad. I picked up new plugs today so i put one in and its running much better. I only putted around the guys house but I'm a little concerned it may have gotten hot when he had it. it starts, idles and runs great now though.

I will pull the plug tomorrow and check the color.

Otherwise the rear brake doesn't work at all. will get to that once I know its running right.

And its missing the heal guards, definitely want those or some alternative. had a bad experience before where my leg got underneath the tire as I pegged the throttle. not fun.

Pics are below. Thanks for any advice!

Thats nice and clean. Look for some raptor, or yfz 450 heel guards. They can be made to fit with minimal modifcations.

Buy or build a leak tester, and make sure that the engine is tight. Member Awk08 sells them, and also makes a rear hydro brake kit that might intrest you.

Read the stickies on here, alot of the info you'll be looking for is there and spelled out really well.

Welcome to the site.

So tonight I warmed it up and pulled the plug. It seemed a little grey/white to me but i'm not an expert. My experience is in snowmobiles, and that is limited. I took a picture of the plug..see below.. I actually have a leak tester, I'll do that Thursday night....

I cleaned the air filter, pic elow, is that that stock filter?

I have been thinking about storage, is there a simple setup to add storage? I was thinking about getting one of the really small action packers and mounting it to the wheelie bar.

Its running well, little slow to idle at first start up without choke. Its been warm here in PA, 82 today. Once its warmed up it idles and runs well.

He says he would do a leak test Thursday night.

So I guess that it proved leak free as he is riding it.

Cannot tell anything from that plug, you need to do a proper plug chop.

it is a cotton filter/opposed to the stock foam filter:)
it allows more air...but with more air is more dirt:)
either is ok but if you want more air you compensate the filtration a lil

I attempted to do a leak test, however I didn't realize that I needed to plug the exhaust and carb, I will admit i'm a rookie with two strokes.

Here is a picture of my leak tester, not positive if I can make this work or not....I have leak tested my car when I thought I had bent valves from a faulty timing belt repair, but that is the extent of my knowledge.....

As I was working on it, I realized that it was missing the spark arrestor. So I ordered one and it arrived this morning. So tonight I will be installing the spark arrestor, which I believe effects the air/fuel ratio.....

Sorry for the delay in progress, I've been putting in 60+ hours at work.....I'll keep you updated....
I have a trip planned to my camp over memorial day to go riding, worst case is I take my Kodiak, but I would really like to take the blaster... we'll see how the weekend goes...thanks for the advice...

Jason

love making money but I need some time to ride! but I guess im not ready to anyway...haha

thanks for those videos, i'll watch them tonight on the recliner...

i'm out here in the shop working on it. I put the spark arrestor on and wamrmed the engine up, then I put a new plug in and drove up my field at or near WOT for about 10 seconds give or take. I couldn't hold it pegged the whole time but it was pretty close....

then I pulled the clutch and shut down the engine....and hacksawed my spark plug apart, definitely the first time ive done that...haha..

and here is the picture, any advice is appreciated.....quad is running really well, seems to get pretty warm but im not sure what is normal....doesn't want to idle when its cold, but once it warmed up it idles nicely.

I should like to see the ring a jet size darker, up one size.

The float level and the idle speed must be correctly set to do a perfect plug chop.

It is ok to hold the brakes on a little to make the engine pull hard.

It is not speed so much that produces the smoke ring it is the load on the engine.

do you think the air filter I have is causing it to be slightly lean? Perhaps I should go back to the stock foam filter which would be another way to richen the mixture slightly? Or do you think I need to change out the jet?

My goal is not to get every bit of power, but to have a reliable stock machine.....

thanks, Jason

I attempted to do a leak test, however I didn't realize that I needed to plug the exhaust and carb, I will admit i'm a rookie with two strokes.

Here is a picture of my leak tester, not positive if I can make this work or not....I have leak tested my car when I thought I had bent valves from a faulty timing belt repair, but that is the extent of my knowledge.....

As I was working on it, I realized that it was missing the spark arrestor. So I ordered one and it arrived this morning. So tonight I will be installing the spark arrestor, which I believe effects the air/fuel ratio.....

Sorry for the delay in progress, I've been putting in 60+ hours at work.....I'll keep you updated....
I have a trip planned to my camp over memorial day to go riding, worst case is I take my Kodiak, but I would really like to take the blaster... we'll see how the weekend goes...thanks for the advice...

Jason
yeh bud that leak tester is for four strokes. dont use it on the blaster!

when you leak tes four strokes you are only checking for valves leaking, a blaster has no valves to be checked!

and if pressurized over 10 psi can blow seals. that tester you have goes to 100 psi

Last edited:
My choice would be to increase the ket by one size, and plug chop it.

The safest way to jet is a little on the rich side.

yeh bud that leak tester is for four strokes. dont use it on the blaster!

when you leak tes four strokes you are only checking for valves leaking, a blaster has no valves to be checked!

and if pressurized over 10 psi can blow seals. that tester you have goes to 100 psi

I'm glad I hit a roadblock before I blew out all my seals.

and thanks for the advice on the air/fuel mixture, I guess I need to open up the carb and see what jet is in there so I can increase the size by one.. ..

and order a leak tester, this was supposed to be my cheap toy! haha....thanks guys.

My choice would be to increase the ket by one size, and plug chop it.

The safest way to jet is a little on the rich side.

Any recommendations on where to get a bigger size jet?

I pulled the carb and it has a 230 main in it, talked to the dealership today and they were having trouble pointing me in the right direction....any advice is appreciated...thanks..