Need more tuning help :)

Blaster_Kart

Sep 29, 2008
BSL NC
So I think the main jet is pretty close on the Blaster, but it still does uncool things.

It wants to hang when you rev it, and comes down to idle very slowly. I have adjusted the pilot, and it still acts lean and hangs no matter what. Also, right after a full throttle blast, When I chop the throttle the engine wants to hang, and I hear an intermittent knock which I assume is detonation. So, do I need to go up on the pilot? From what I read that is what it needs, I just want some confirmation.

Oh, mods are: .020 Wiseco, stock location K&N with outerwear and no lid, FMF SST pipe and silencer, 270 main, (stock)needle in the middle. Like I said, the pilot has been in various places, but I started at 1.5 out.

Thanks for any help :)

try moving the needle clip down to rich in the mid section up. cause if it idles fine then i dont think you need to mess with the pilot. i would mess with the needle some and the main jet.. how does your plug look what color?.

Plug looks ok IMO. I will post up a pic later, but a plug chop on a fresh plug gets me a brown smoke ring at the base of the insulator. I'll try to raise the needle and see what happens.

Yeah thats what I was following.

I am at this part:

"As it comes back down to idle, does it seem to hang at a higher idle for a minute and then settle down to normal idle?

If it does this you're Too Lean on the Air Screw adjusment. You need to richen it up by turning the Air Screw IN 1/2 turn and then repeat the test."

But the problem is, I cant adjust the screw enough to get rid of the hang :(

I'll let you all know what raising the needle does.

Ok, so this thing is just full of surprises. Turns out, it had a 35 pilot in it. Could I have actually been so rich on the pilot that it would hang like it was lean? I dont know, I am out of ideas here. Just for the heck of it, I put a stock 32.5 pilot in it just to see what happens. As soon as I can run it I will report back.

Well since putting the stock pilot in, I have not heard the knock. It also seems to hang way less now. I am going to tweak it a bit more, but it seems to be much better now.