NEED help!!!!!!

87blaster

Jan 15, 2016
I've got a 89 Yamaha blaster, won't run Becuase of no spark, well it's got a good stator tests out at 266 ohms (within spec) the ignition coil is good and working, the engine run on/off switch is fine and the key is fine, I just replaced the Cdi and still nothing, the oil injection is eleminated tors is eliminated, kinda at a stand still now not sure what to do, I had it running before then the pick up coil came off and scraped up the fly wheel a little but seemed to be ok I replaced it with high out put then relised no one likes it Becuase it doesn't work change back to the old one but keep the new pick up coil on it. Any help would be great!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    756.4 KB · Views: 252
Did you check and clean the ground on the coil ? Start there...the coil is mounted on the frame under the gas tank. Flywheel key could be sheared also

im gonna check all grounds again when i get home where are they all located? is there more than the two(one on ignition coil and the other on the 12volt control box) the key is brand new and fine

So key switch is new? How did you test on/off switch?
Have you ohmed ign coil with/without plug cap? Try trimming plug wire 1/4", install cap with bit of dielectric grease.

the woodruff key is new, i tested the key switch last night it shows no resistance in on and very very minimal in off.
testes the kill switch as well and shows no resistnace. and im gonna try that tonight when i get home. i have a feeling that its the pick up and i just need to buy a good used oem one from ebay. the test light when i had it hooked up to the orange lead going to the igntion coil would show power gpoing to it but not all the time probably 4 our of 10 times it would show some sort of voltage going through there. is they any way to test a pick up coil?

Check your spark plug cap, mine was worn out so I replaced it but it still wouldn't start. I tightened it down some more and it ran. Also check your tors system

tors system is eliminated there no a controol box and the black and yrllow and black wire are cut at both ends

It's a 4 wire and I have unplugged and nothing
Note:
Should be a test value in the manual, or try Google search.

IIRC key should have zero in off, kill should have zero in run position.

In on position key switch completes circut, would have to jump wires to bypass, can't just unplug.
Kill switch completes circut in off position, grounding Stator power. MUST unplug to bypass.

Note:

In on position key switch completes circut, would have to jump wires to bypass, can't just unplug.
Kill switch completes circut in off position, grounding Stator power. MUST unplug to bypass.
In going out right now to try it to see if I can find anything, your saying to unplug ground(black) from stator?

Alright I'm done with this stupid bike, the only thing I can think to do is replace the stator, so much for the stupid $66 high out put stator

Note:

In going out right now to try it to see if I can find anything, your saying to unplug ground(black) from stator?

I'm not trying to criticize you but it's constructive criticism, you can just unplug it larrysshee
It will bypass it, the kill switch and key act the same, they both connect to the same place in the. Cdi box, if grounded it will shut off.

For 87blaster just because you check the ohms doesn't mean that the stator is operating correctly, but usually those staters suck, that's why it's so cheap. You could have a bad ground where the stator is, or a melted wire in the harness. Before buying anything else I would try checking those.

ok thanks man im actually buying a good used oem one off a buddy of mine. if thats not the issue it will be time to look at the wire harness

Apologys. I dilexiated. Confused Banshee and Blaster switches. On Blaster unplug both switches to bypass.
Both have black and black/ white. Black is ground, B/w comes from cdi. Both switches ground cdi in off position.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Last edited: