need help

rgpannell

Jan 1, 2010
Northeast Mississippi.
Hey guys its been too long, but I'm back at the blaster ok so here's the prob. I got a motor built by ken oconnor ( did a great job) and I'm running a 34mm keihn carb. 45 pilot 155 main dgh needle. I have to choke it to get it to start and when it does it runs wide open when I push the choke in it goes dead unless I blip the throttle but when I do it runs wide open again it wnt even attempt to idle or run mid throttle its wide open or nothing I did an air leak test and found no leak so I'm stuck. So I'm asking for help from you wonderful blaster brothers :) thanks

I'm using the thumb trottle off a 250r but it seems to b seating good I can hear it "click" when I realease it and there it about a quarter inch of play in the cable before it starts to pick up the slide

When I push the choke in its starts idleing down but I have to blip the throttle or it goes dead but when I do it jumps to wot even if I barely blip it there is no holding it at an even mid range rpm it either " ringdingdingdingdingdingding" wide open or dead

its a long shot, did you put the carb on? was it sitting around while you were having engine work? could the float be stuck? or a piece of crap in the line? mine did something similar today while i was jetting. i forgot to turn the fuel back on and just before the bowl ran dry it revved up like hell! granted i was running rich...

Richer ur main jet a lot.the reason y it idles Lowe when the choke is on, is because it cuts off the air, making the mixture more rich. Which means that ur running lean. Or ur idle is too high, and the slide is not seating rite. Take a pic of the intake do u can see the slide.

Yes I put the carb on its got all new fuel line and the float wasn't stuck when I put it on lol I have started it several times it does the same thing everytime and I've ran it for several minutes at wot before letting it shutdown (for fear of overheating) while trying to adjust things differently. So I dnt think it is lacking fuel.....

@ quad rider ill check and take pics of it when i get home this weekend I work outta town but I'm just trying to get an idea of what all to check when I get there. So any advice is appreciated.

those are very close jets you have in it that are needed
do not richen the main, or any other jet
you obviously have something clogged in the carb, an airleak somewhere ??
is the rubber gasket in the carb cap, how bout the rubber boot where the line enters it ???

what clip setting on the needle, should be middle position

or............

where is the choke knob "idle setting" turned too ???
you do know that turning the choke knob is the idle setting on these PJ's ?? it adds more fuel to get it to idle faster
turn it clockwise till it bottoms out and see what happens when started
and very small turns counter clockwise have big effects, so little at a time till it idles

i also do not let slack in my cable, i actually use it to open the slide slightly to get it to idle, then fine tune it with the choke knob idle settings

the choke knob adjust the idle on pj's? (johnny carson voice) I did not know that!!!
learn something new everyday!

yes, you turn it out/up to add fuel only, most fugged up system ever thought of, thats why i use the cable to open the slide also, to add air too

I would also make sure the slide is completely closing. Take the carb off and check it while its in your hand.If the motor passed leakdown including the reed cage then I would make sure no air leaks at the carb cap. Your jetting is very close.I think you will end up with a 50 pilot though.Keep us posted

I would also pull the carb and cover the top and one side with your palm then wrap your lips around the otherside and blow. lmao.... but seriously see if it will leak air anywhere.