NEED HELP somethings wrong with my blaster

razorback746

Jan 19, 2010
Dayton,Ohio
i checked my compression today and it was low only reading 80 pounds i thought i may need new rings and piston but i noticed that my rod moves a bit. were the rod connects at the bottom it wiggles back and forth i need help is it normal or am i gnna have 2 get a new rod

it moves side 2 side but it barely moves up and down i need to know what i have to have to replace it

A bit of side-to-side play in the rod is OK, like yb said. It is actually required. If the rod doesn't move up-and-down upon its bearing, I'd leave well enough alone. Just do the new top end and go on. Should you have to replace the connecting rod, you will need to tear the whole engine down, split the cases, and send the crankshaft off to a reputable shop to have it rebuilt. Wiseco, Vesrah and Hot Rods all make replacement connecting rods for a Blasty.

A connecting rod job will require:
-Full gasket set
-Seal kit
-Yamabond (or equivalent) liquid sealant
-New crankshaft bearings (recommended)
-Flywheel puller
-Case-splitting tool
-Torque wrench
-Plenty of shop rags
-And...lots of patience and an understanding of your Blaster shop manual. (Which is a good investment if you don't already have one!!)

I gotta ask. How much history do you have on your Blaster? 80psi compression definately means that you need to re-do the top end. However, the crankshaft/connecting rod question you have may hinge on how the top end met its demise.

What I mean is this: If the engine was run long and hard for years, and it finally just 'wore out', I'd go ahead and get the crank rebuilt. The top end took quite a pounding during that time, and most likely so did the crank. The same goes for an engine that has been damaged due to dirt ingestion. If your Blasty sucked in a lot of dirt/debris through a leaky intake or air leak, DEFINATELY have that crank rebuilt, and put in new main bearings as well. Fine particles of sand/other crap will thoroughly wreck every moving part in a 2-stroke. Top and bottom end.

However, if you just accidentally blew-up the engine by running lean, or if it 'cold-seized' on you, or if you had a piston skirt break, you may well be able to get away with just a fresh top end, leaving the rod alone. This kind of damage usually just affects the piston, rings, and cylinder, so the rod can often be re-used without issues. When in doubt, get it fixed properly. Good luck! Putting in a new (or rebuilt) crank now is a lot easier than doing it again later, after you thought you had it rebuilt properly the first time. Trust me.

Last edited:
ok thanks braaaptor but gnna go ahead and rebuild it cause i have the tools in the shop 2 pull apart the cases. im trying to find a crankshaft thats not to expensive but still works.

ok thanks braaaptor but gnna go ahead and rebuild it cause i have the tools in the shop 2 pull apart the cases. im trying to find a crankshaft thats not to expensive but still works.

no offence dude but why would you do that? a new wiseco crankshaft kit complete with bearings, gaskets, seals the whole crank and top bearing can be bought off egay for $150.00. or you can get a sweet stroker crank for $170.00. if its about money i would just save a bit longer and get new stuff so you dont end up in the same boat in 2 months.

well i seen the +3 stroker for like 180 so i might get it but i should only need it the seals bearings and gaskets right?

my stroker crank came with crank seals and the top (small end) bearing. the wiseco standard stroke kit comes with everything. but while the cases are split it would be almost stupid not to replace the rest of the rubber seals in there. also rjatv would be the best place to shop for the stroker.

well i split my case and i wanna know how many seals and bearings i need all togethor my crankshaft came with the main bearings and seals and top end bearing. anything else

You can just get a new seal kit they arent much at all bro....
There are seals for the kick start, shifter rod, 2 crank, cluth arm, and I know I am missing one or two.

Vito's Performance Products ENGINE SEAL KITS from RJATV

The rest of the bearing should be ok. All you should have to replace is the crank bearings, which you have. Also the top end bearing as you are calling it is called the wrist pin bearing.

Also what knowbody mentioned if you get the +3 stroker crank you will have to have the jug ported, well I am pretty sure you will.

If I was you I would just get a new stock replacement crank, new seal and put her back together. Just my 2 cents

Reactions: super noober
ok thanks guys im waiting on the stuff but while im waiting i went ahead and knocked out my stock axle and added the banshee axle hopeing 2 get some more aftermarket stuff.