need help deciding

gizzy2014

Rippin' Hard
Jul 22, 2012
dickinson ND
i know most of us are 2-stroke guys, but i need some help deciding

i know i want a 250 dirt bike, but im stuck on the fence of 2 or 4 stroke, rode a 2-stroke 250 for the first time today and it was awesome, and much lighter weight

also rode a 250 4-stroke today and it felt kinda slow and boring, granted there was 9 years between the bikes i think

so what do u guys think???

the 2-strokes were a 2010, 2007 ktm 250sx that some friends have and i think he said the suzuki 4-stroke was a 2001 250

You know just as well as the next man Giz, that 250 two strokes have it hands down over a 250 four poke.

What is to decide upon, smoker all the way.

Amen blaaster.think of it this way giz.
2 stroke at top end time
1.piston
2.rings
3.clips
4.gaskets
5.maybe a bore
4 stroke at top end time
1-5 from above
6.valves
7.valve guide seals
8.possibly timing chain
9possibly chain tensioner

one thing to consider on the 2 stroke bikes is age and parts availability. if you decide to go with a 2 stroke bike, check to see if power valve parts are available still. they do wear out and older bike parts are not available.

I like 4 stroke bikes for some reason, I don't have one but have ridden plenty and like them. The 450 4 stroke is something else though.

I like 4 stroke bikes for some reason, I don't have one but have ridden plenty and like them. The 450 4 stroke is something else though.
i had an 05 yz450f. i liked the power of it but i always kept searching for a 6th gear. the only thing i hated about it was it cost me over $300 for a piston when the stock one died and adjusting the valves. it was a pita with all 5 of them. and when riding, i could not get it to stay leaned over in turns with the gas on. it just would stand up and made it difficult to control.

yeah, im probably getting a 2-stroke, theres a nice 2006 kx250 on CL right now for $2750

but since we are moving Saturday, i cant go buy anything cause i still have the blaster to move, so that and other stuff will be in the back of my truck and no room for a new bike

well yeah ktm is number one...but nothing used around me for sale, and i cant afford a new one, freind has a rm250 for sale right now, needs some work