need help 34mm pj no idle

rgpannell

Jan 1, 2010
Northeast Mississippi.
Ok guys so I got back to work on my build. Just for the background my motor was completely redone by ken occonor , I am running a 34mm pj , my problem is I have to choke to start, when I do it runs high rev till I shut off choke, when I do I have to blip throttle to keep it running. It has quick throttle response and revs up and down through mid and high range. But it will not even attempt to idle. I have done an air leak test, checked spark, completely cleaned carb and checked float height it is at 16mm. I am running a 45 pilot. Any ideas?

Take the air box off and look in the carb as you adjust the idle screw, it might not be hitting the throttle valve and pushing it up. Or you could have a clog in the sleeve from the filter to the carb.

I'll check the carb and see but this is the carb that the idle adjustment is on the choke also I've moved the air screw from 1turn to 3 turns with no change. I'm running the cdma aluminum air box and just put it on so no clog for sure

I'll check the carb and see but this is the carb that the idle adjustment is on the choke also I've moved the air screw from 1turn to 3 turns with no change. I'm running the cdma aluminum air box and just put it on so no clog for sure

Ok, well, reset your air screw back to 1.5 turns out. I don't personally know your carb, so tell me, how does the idle screw work it if it doesn't move the slide up to allow air flow? Is this possibly one of those "bleed type" carbs? Regardless, you're not idling because there isn't air flow thru the venturi to feed the spark.

I'll b honest I dnt know exactly how it works either lol what I do know is that a lot of guys on here run the carb and idle is often an issue. Many use there throttle to adjust idle. But I can even feather the throttle and get it to idle it either revs into mid range or dies.

LOL...ok...well, hopefully one of those other fellas with the same carb will chime in. All I know for sure is the common physics of the carb, you need air flow in the slow system to get it to idle, without air flow, the engine gets no fuel...as long as it is getting fuel anyhow, is there fuel in the float bowl? Is the petcock on? And is there good fuel flow to the carb?

I beleave you have to pull up the choke a little and turn it to lock the nut so it will thread in and out. I think that's what I had to do to mine for it to adjust and not just spin around.

Lol well ok ill b d*$#ed I was gonna adjust the cable on top except there is no adjustment on top. The cableis grommeted straight into the cap. Also I tried just barely holding my thumb on the throttle and it either still died or revved back up, wouldn't that do the same as adjusting the cable?

O it ( my idle adjuster on choke ) spins and moves up and down it just has no effect on idle. Maybe my jetting is off? The 45 was recommended to me but seems it should idle rather lean or rich?

I have the same damn problem and i never have adjusted my carb but i think i need to replace the filter. if it keep going then idk what else but just to call my buddy.

I'm running a 65 pilot in my 34 PJ. My elevation is around 900 ft.

It idles very good now, not perfect like the stock carb but good. Make sure the idle circuit is perfectly clean before you go changing jets. Take the whole carb apart, choke and everything and make sure all passages are clean. Any blockage will kill the idle on this carb. Try cleaning first and if that doesn't work then try increasing your pilot jet.