My Z400 MX Build!!!!

96MXBlaster

Jun 20, 2010
SD
Well im starting an MX build on my Z. I wanted to sell for a 450 but dad thought itd be cheaper to do a Z. Here are the mods i will be doing

Suspension

Either Yfz or Works front shocks
not sure on rear shock yet.
MX a arms not sure what brand whatever i can get
Holeshot rear tires
PEP Steering Stablizer

Apperance.
LTR or newer LTZ rear plastics
Attack Graphics number plates and numbers
Maier Race Hood
Protaper Handlebars
Handguards
Rockstar Graphics kit

Power
I would like to play with some sprockets and find a better gear ratio
400ex intake boot with FCR 39 carb off of a yfz.
I think i have good power already just need ALOT better suspension.

I will be doing this build part by part adding them when i get them. Im super tight on money so i am only buying parts with what money i get. Its super hard to find jobs latley since i spent all my money paying the quad off and paying my dealer to adjust the vavles and i will have to get my 4th gear fixed soon before the whole tranny takes a poop. I guess tell me what u guys think and ill be putting up pics! This build might not start for a little bit im just trying to lay my ideas out and get organized lol.

Wouldn't it just be cheaper to sell your 400 and buy a used 450? If money's an issue I'd look for a used 450 thats ready for the track right outta the box. Just my $.02

Wouldn't it just be cheaper to sell your 400 and buy a used 450? If money's an issue I'd look for a used 450 thats ready for the track right outta the box. Just my $.02

I wanted to. my friend has a honda 450r for $4000 dollars all race ready. Parents told me to be happy with what i have. Really bumbed me out i really wanted a 450. I mean i found a used 450 thats in my budget id only have to save 300 dollars. but no

WEll guys i found a set of ltr450 front shocks for a 100 bucks from a friend im going to buy wooottt

i'd say you better get that tranny problem fixed before you spend another red cent on that thing
have a good solid, reliable running quad before modding it

Suspension first, then motor work! Appearance last. It may look fast, but u could be the slowest person out there. And u can never have enough power! U just ha eto know how to use it. Also try lightening it a little. Looks like a very heavy bike, and that wint help u. Atleast telling buy the way it lands when u jump. Lightr swinger, tires, etc.

hey bro i am also doing a z400 build except xc build this is what i'm starting out with

Suspension
fox shocks
works ultracross rear shock
full flight a-arms
itp holeshot fronts
pure sport bandit rears
streamline steering stabilizer

chassis
flexx bars anit vibe stem
doughlas rear wheels
stock front wheels
team suzuki bumper,nerf bars grab bar
Power
engine
hmf slip on
high flow clamp on

i am hoping to add
pro armor nerf bars for it,full set of kenda kutter tires,hotcams cam,fmf powerbomb header,gforce extended hubs,skid plate,new fenders,new seat cover,rockstar graphics,ac square front bumper

Tranny problem on an LTZ? I think you guys are thinking of the LTR450R. Completely different motors guys. These trannys are very reliable with no modifications needed. The LTZ had a problem with the timing chain tensioner and he already had it modded. No worries with reliability now!

^^^ bud, i have you on facebook, never new who you were but hey, you had a nice fourweeler haha. just seen the york racing avatar and i put 2 and 2 together haha.

Took you awhile huh? lol Yeah thats me. Thanks for the compliment on the quad. I love it but money is getting tight and I've been contemplating parting her out. Doubt I will have the heart too tho.

Yes guys i do have a 4th gear out. i think its a shifting fork worn out or bent or something. it acts like its in neutral. i have someone lined up to fix it. I took my Z into the Suzuki dealer because i had a loose cam chain. Like 98 said i got the tensnior modded and it runs like a champ just test road it today! 100 percent better!! But i am left with no money. So im trying to pick up as many jobs as i can to pay for this build. Thanks for the advice! And nice plan speedy! found ya on Z400 forum!:)

The dealer also checked my top end and everything looks good. My friend races a 400ex all race ready so ill be racin with him next year i think my 400 is a good starter quad and work up to the 450s

Oh I didn't know you had 4th gear out. Thats very uncommon for the LTZ's.

Yeah. It sucks. Hopefully my friend will be able to help me fix it. It doesnt grind or curnch. Just acts like neutral and revs up. So i dont think any gears or the tranny is bad. something with the shifting is wrong i think.