my titan's under the seat sub stage different stages...

Feb 28, 2010
Kailua-Kona, HI
let me just say, I've done plenty of my own loud setups usually very competitive spl ground pounders in their perspective class, ranging from single 10" setups to dual 15"s and 18" setups running anywhere from 600 to 8000rms on just sub duty. altho I do like to free dive/spearfish my screen name isn't related to fishing or drugs lol. and this is my name on all the forums I frequent from 2000 when I started joining car audio forums. ANYway, I'll go ahead with the actual thread.

my 1st setup for under the seat in the titan was a single 8" ported in about 1 cube forget what I tuned it to. but I played with several 8"s I had, an L7, a DD1008a an elemental 9kv2 and a TC 2+ prototype. it was purely for fun and to see what I could do from under the seat. previously I had a pair of 15"s in there and one a soundoff in it but this thread is dedicated to the under the seat section only lol. it would be WAAAAY more pix/typing otherwise. I didn't take pix of this as it was just playing around. I had a termlab but the DD did the best and it was only a 134 or 135 at the dash car sealed so I didn't bother logging any of it lol.

the next setup, was 4 eD eu-700s, I wanted to see what I could do with 6"s just so I could tell people I was running 6"s when they asked lol (everyone who knows me usually asks what I'm running or what I've been up to) but despite my efforts it did a best of a 132 or 133 lol.

the next under the seat box I don't recall metering at all for some reason, but it was the loudest to this point, was a pair of DD 1008s ported with an external port... this one I DID get pix/vids of...

21039600167_large.jpg

2 DD 1008a Video by Tom - Myspace Video

this setup didn't last long as I always went back to my large subs and conventional boxes and folding up one side or the entire back seat to run large setups lol.

so, the next time I went under the seat, I decided to lift the back seat 2"s. I used a neo storm motor, with FI soft parts (reconed them for a budget spl class B setup in my wife's jetta) and stole one to run in my truck as our comps used to be spaced far enough apart that I could split the system and take one amp/sub for daily and give her half her trunk back when there weren't comps. box was about 2.25 cubes iirc, 1 6" aeroport tuned to about 38hz iirc.. been a while and I don't know if I wrote it down in any of the pix titles...

reconing

l_618eb25dba1acee225ec6bbd149249f0.jpg

l_246abdcf0934b74ef773f467b6a9f8e3.jpg

sub setup in the truck. this one did a 138.6 or something iirc, that was on music, new termlab, amp was one crossfire xp1400d, I like my maxxlinks so I use them as a sub processor even when only using one amp. if running multiples I use it to strap them as well, like my wife's expedition build with 4 amps in 2 strapped pairs I posted on here a while back somewhere lol.

l_44ac141b238e418b954708919b3d3407.jpg

l_3f39355b230047e291a1cc51ad59f535.jpg

l_e914852f3b9e4c019ac96982e43bd217.jpg

l_5d91cd45a53147468e0ad74794be347d.jpg

basically the port fits into a 10" sub cutout... it mounts to a 9"+ hole iirc... I have it cut so I just trace the side that goes into the box and it is the perfect size to mount the port, makes it quicker for me when doing boxes lol.

I ended up trading the 10" away finally this year after running it for like 2 years iirc, to a buddy as he wanted it and I was phasing outta sounds and more into bikes, I traded him for an MTX 9510 dual 4ohm so I instantly dropped power as my amp does full power at 1ohm lol. but I didn't care as I just wanted something in there to plug the hole in my box that sounded ok and I could potentially sell (I did have the custom sub FS but no one wanted it for some reason) before the MTX actually finally sold.

after trading for the MTX I realized how unsatisfied I was with it. and I've always wanted to do a single 12" or dual 10" setup in the truck under the back seat... so I finally decided to do it. so I got a pair of kove audio armageddon Z d4 12"s on CL one day. I decided before even putting it in however. that it wasn't going to be enough to make me happy lol. but we'll get to that....

so I build a box similar in design to the single 10" box just a little bigger and front firing as I can't fit a 12" side firing unless I lift the box another 2"s lol. at which point I think even short people will be sitting with their heads to the roof lol.

12undertheseat2.jpg

12undertheseat.jpg

but while I was in the process of doing this setup, I was planning for a real build, my biggest under the seat setup yet lol. so I picked up a sundown audio nightshade v1 12" that needed a recone, also picked up a sundown saz-2000d, and went ahead and ordered my recone for the nightshade lol.

I dont know crap about speakers or the setups needed get decent sound. But, looks like you got it figured out hahaha
If you werent 5000mi away, id have you build me something for the rex. I:I

the sundown audio nightshade recone came in pretty quick, I considered cutting the old parts out before the recone came in but I'm a procrastinator lol so didn't and one day when the recone came in I was like holey crap, gotta put it in today, so started cutting the sub up, this was the most detailed pix of reconing I've done to date...

sub, I put the new dustcap on there just to show how it should look, I previously pulled the dustcap and stuck it to the old owners windshield with double stick tape, took a picture of it and texted it to him when I bought it from the shop he works at lol. they painted monkey D*I* on it so it was funny, one of those things you gotta be there to appreciate lol.

nightshaderecone2.jpg

removed dustcap...

nightshaderecone3.jpg

cutout surround...

nightshaderecone4.jpg

nightshaderecone5.jpg

cut off spider and cut lead wires, then pull out old cone assembly...

nightshaderecone6.jpg

you can see where the sub failed, they were running it on close to 10,000 watts rms used to set the state spl record in B class iirc and it DID indeed set the record before it blew, the record was also broken again a week or so later lol.

nightshaderecone7.jpg

the leads burnt out on the way up the former...

nightshaderecone8.jpg

probably could've about caught on fire. no doubt it was smoking lol

basket/motor gutted

nightshaderecone9.jpg

tape off the gap and hit it with a grinder with the soft wheel on it so you don't take off too much metal.

nightshaderecone12.jpg

assembly I used 5 minute epoxy so without a helper I couldn't get pix of the assembly in progress, it takes me about 5 minutes to get it all together after I 1st start applying the epoxy so it's a race against the clock basically, as if it starts to set, it will NOT hold when it has real alot of pressure behind the sub..

nightshaderecone17.jpg

next time I do a recone if there's anyone home, I'll have them run the camcorder or I'll set it on the side and start and stop it so it's all done in real time.

clamp clamp and when you think you have enough, you don't, so clamp more lol

nightshaderecone18.jpg

last you glue your dustcap on. and you're ready to go (once it sets, OVERNIGHT lmfao, that's probably the HARDEST part, waiting on the last epoxy to cure overnight lol)

NSv112reconed.jpg

oh yeah, and solder on your new lead wires

NSv112reconed2.jpg

then go put that shet in and let it bang lol

Titansundownsetup.jpg

Titansundownsetup2.jpg

Titansundownsetup3.jpg

didn't take into account the subs magnet, even tho the box is 9.5" tall in back and 12.5" tall in front, the magnet is like 9" wide, plus the angle of the box = invert mount lol

I had this in for a couple/few weeks now I think. but between working swinging shifts of overnights and days and driving 1.5hrs one way to and from work, I haven't ever took the time to make vids lol. maybe tomorrow.. here's some of my regular setups I did in our other cars to hold you over til then

I'll start with some of the older ones 1st

single soloX 10" in my old focus hatch, was doing 145.2@37hz dash car sealed new termlab, daily tune, daily power ;)

Realm of Excursion - Kicker - Kicker Solox10.1

my wife's car, single 10" DD 9510f in a box I made for a 4hp 12" underhung sub I had, bought the DD and wanted to play with it so made a template to fit it in the 12" bulletproof box lol. here's a quick pic of the 12" as I miss that sub. sirmixalot ain't got nothing on me lol, I did run that 12" in my truck but not under the seat so irrelevant...

l_34f4021c63d911afe57074a90f3f20b0.jpg

DD9510F subwoofer video by hawaiianbasshead - Photobucket

hm... about the same time, I just bought my titan new, and won my 1st soundoff (with that car) with paper plates still on it as I only had it 2 weeks, 2 neo storm x2 15"s on 2 autotek mean machine mm4000.1d or something, on a pair of kinetik monster hc2400 batteries (those 2 batts ran me $1100 for the pair back in 05 lol) I shattered one of the cones during the comp (thank god I'm always only finishing setups the day of the comps lol, if not I'd of shattered all the cones ground pounding, still won my class) so, put in my spare the day after the comp to daily with(I had three) then shattered the cone on the 2nd one. so only had one running by the time I made this vid... here's a pic of all three and an MT 18" prototype # 8 in the planet actually, I had it since 01 or 02, forget, I had it on termpro when I 1st got it and it's still on there in the archives I searched it before. that was back when RE was under ground and not too many people knew who they were and I got laughed at alot before metering at my 1st comp I attended with it lol. after I went everyone shut up REAL quick...

21039600002_large.jpg

vid of the 15" last one fore I killed it too lol.

Realm of Excursion - Lightning Audio - Lightning Audio Stormx2neo15.1

this is what the cones look like, internally shattered, the cone itself was woven fiber so it didn't tear it shattered, they sounded like broken glass when you played with them with your hands lol.

21039600123_large.jpg

the amps were rated 4000rms each 2ohms bridged. I ran them 1ohm bridged lmfao...

then I ran those motors in my wife's jetta after I reconed them to 10"s with FI parts did a 143.6 in a comp forget the frequency but it was on some rap song. I don't do alot of spl burps and if I feel confident with the setup in it's perspective class I don't worry about it. if it's a serious setup that will putup good numbers I MAY burp it. but I usually just play whatever song bangs the best lol

Hybrid Fi/Storm neo X2 10" subwoofers Video by Tom - Myspace Video

hm, after that setup, (this isn't all my installs, just what I took pix/vids of lol) I think I ran my tipro in my truck for a little while...

Eclipse TiPro 15" 2nd vid Video by Tom - Myspace Video

then I put that same sub/box in my wife's jetta, but ran it on two xp1400d crossfire amps strapped instead of 1 like in the truck...

Eclipse TiPro 15" in jetta Video by Tom - Myspace Video

the jetta did a 144+@32hz, dash, car closed, street C on music in a comp, won it's class but there wan't anyone loud at that show lol. it moved alot of air and pressurized well...

next I think I ran the expedition already, with the pair of AQ HD3 15s and 4 xp1400ds on 4 trojan L-16 6v solar batts in series then parallel (got the batts reading WAAAAAY low like 4v each for $20ea) this setup was street C or D I forget, did a 149@40 or 42hz at a comp, car sealed, dash, new TL.

http://d2.ac-videos.myspacecdn.com/videos02/233/thumb1_d58d0474641a4f188af4f96b675a307d.jpg

there's pix on here somewhere with this setup so I won't bother with more unless someone requests them lol.

like I said, I'll try to get vids of the new 12" sundown setup in the truck but I also want to work on it a little more and get it to like a 144+ legal on the new termlab, then I'll be somewhat happy with it. even if I need to upgrade power to get there, if I get there, I'll be happy lol

nice set ups, but why am i seeing baby wire on some of them subs?? even the jumpers from coil to coil are to small. i had a DD4512 in a 3.3 cubic foot slot port box running off a mark anthony mp40 in a 95 eclipse, no cap, no deep cycle battery, no line driver just a basic set up.. 143.8 db changed my 12g speaker wire to the sub out for 8g and went up to 144.3

i got a buddy that had a JL 8w7 in a vw golf.. 142 db with a single 8'' in a custom spec'd box

Since you seem to know a ton about subs and sound setups, unlike a couple of idiot friends of mine who think sony is god.
I'm gonna eventually be looking for a real nice setup in my jeep I was gonna put brand new 6.5"s in the door thats the stock size iirc. Then I was gonna put like 1 10" in the back. I was wondering what my best setup would be I don't need to be heard from 5 miles away I just would like some really good quality sound. I have heard of fusions? What would you recommend for my setup?

nice set ups, but why am i seeing baby wire on some of them subs??

I'm not worried about it, you probably had something else going. it also depends on alot of other things imo. I used what I had laying around to get it done lol. in the event my imp rise is 2x (usually it's a good bit more) I'm getting 2ohms and my amp would be doing @ actual rated power in a vehicle where voltage DOES drop. rating is 1000rms @ 2ohms, 1000w = x volts X y amps, at 2ohms voltage will be double amperage, = so for simplicity I'll say on a burp it can do 46v and 23a IF I only get 2x imp rise in there lol. and 0 voltage drop and getting rated power out of the amp...

my wire is larger than any 25a fuse conductor I've seen... it's not all that long. if you look at any of my big setups I believe they pretty much all used large wires which I ran out of lol. I actually MAY have 8awg power laying around, which is what I normally use in higher powered setups.

any who's the damm electrician here LOL. I seriously doubt your numbers were on a new termlab. my setups do well over 150s on audio controls ;) that is a 7db difference from the new termlab to an audio control spl180 and a kriss meter, I've put my personal termlab AND local shops mics in my vehicle at the same time to prove it to them. my other setup with the wires coming out of the port were my 2ohm load on my 1400d so 700watts rated 2ohm and I'm getting 2x rise which is pretty unheard of would = 4ohm and a 350watt rated power to the sub, do the math and lmk if I need 8awg as I'm not too sure LOL. we run 80% of 15a thru 14awg here in HI in commercial and residential electrical. DEPENDING on how long you will need to account for voltage drops and other factors like derating the wire but my speaker wires aren't that long. do you know how thick voice coil winding is at all? I've taken coils off the former, so I do ;) and it's not even close to 12awg so my 14awg speaker wire is still fatter than that lol.

the armageddon 12" under the seat is a red conductor and a black conductor that I can't even see in the pix. @ 2ohm on a 1400d

the 10" was 8awg knu twisted as I was running that setup 1ohm on a 1400d

the inverted large 12" was 2ohm on a 600 and that is dual 14awg parallled

the others are either low power or have larger wire.

and in all reality 4x imp rise is pretty common. so some of my setups are looking even worse but the voltage is higher lol. so higher voltage per watts equates to less amperage. less amperage requires less cable to deliver same power ;)

I'll see about getting the vids today. but you are right, for my 2000d 1ohm I suppose I should've used larger jumpers than 14awg or whatever it is... I almost used 8awg but decided it was short and that twisted stuff was cleaner lol.

Since you seem to know a ton about subs and sound setups, unlike a couple of idiot friends of mine who think sony is god.
I'm gonna eventually be looking for a real nice setup in my jeep I was gonna put brand new 6.5"s in the door thats the stock size iirc. Then I was gonna put like 1 10" in the back. I was wondering what my best setup would be I don't need to be heard from 5 miles away I just would like some really good quality sound. I have heard of fusions? What would you recommend for my setup?

listen to a few sets of mids in sound rooms at shops and see what you like the best. (KEEP IN MIND, they WILL NOT sound as good in a poorly prepped car door as they do in a sealed or ported demo wall in a prepped sound room) but you'll get a feel for which produce the tonality you favor the most. they can play the same frequency and sound slightly different :) than see if you can get a deal on the same set somewhere lol.

subs is all about box. so depending on what you want from your sub stage you will have to decide a few things, type of bass u want, power, budget and space you are willing to sacrifice. when you figure that out you can move forward, if not you'll end up getting a mod bug with it and doing more til your happy (we all know how that goes) what type of music do you listen to the most? rock, rap, hawaiian, classical, circus accordian stuff?

my set up was all of almost 8-9 years ago, was metered on the same meter used for local usac comps both db drag and spl, my car was metered outlaw spl ( alowed to have a door open behichle not sealed up. maybe it was the pour quality of the wire on it the first time around that caused the restriction?? when i changed itt o the 8g i also shortened the wires to as short as the could be to reach from amp to the sub.
I wish i could find another amp like that mp40, granted it was a straight cheater amp, it rocked all day long and never thermal shut down, amp was rated at 40w x1 @4ohms i was running it at 1ohm, iirc it was .5 stable

Buddy back when had a 89 cavaleer z24 set up with a power v wall, 8 12'' orion xtr? pros run off a single hcca 250r car beat conistant 154s off day to day music sealed up

9 years ago was pre new termlab, alot has changed, 7dbs off, build a setup and go hit the new termlab to find out. the spl 180 used to be used for all that IASCA and stuff before it. that is what our shops all used until the new termlab came out. nasa now uses the new termlab to measure they're shuttle launches... BIIIIIG difference. I've been on the spl180s for all the old comps back then as well. and the new termlab is a new animal. go on some audio forums and inquire a little ;) you can't learn as much about quads there nor can you learn as much about audio here! if you think you can, you're only fooling yourself man.

my scores are all LEGAL, none of this outlaw stuff lol. you really need to go build a setup and go find a new termlab and spl180 (old legal sh*t) and go see the difference for yourself. OUR shop meters here that were certified legal for USACI and IASCA stuff and even the old DbDrag termpro is WAAAAAY different than the new termlab. thus universally everyone in the audio world and I mean INTERNATIONALLY all use the NEW TERMLAB as their reference point. the old meters/mics were suseptable to be compromised you WILL NOT be able to trick the new termlab, it has been tried it will not happen. you're talking almost a 10dB difference. period /story...

the state records as well as regional and INTERNATIONAL are ALL now made/set with the new Termlab... in ALL sanctioned events. so, like I said, go get a setup, even find a buddy and try to locate a crappy meter that no one really uses for anything anymore and see the difference. the shop in hilo that I did a comparison in front of, now owns a new termlab ;)

vids

how low can u go..

LudaHowLow.mp4 video by hawaiianbasshead - Photobucket

beat in my "truck" got it jus 4 tha freaks :D remix...

Nsanitybeatsformytrunk.mp4 video by hawaiianbasshead - Photobucket

listen to a few sets of mids in sound rooms at shops and see what you like the best. (KEEP IN MIND, they WILL NOT sound as good in a poorly prepped car door as they do in a sealed or ported demo wall in a prepped sound room) but you'll get a feel for which produce the tonality you favor the most. they can play the same frequency and sound slightly different :) than see if you can get a deal on the same set somewhere lol.

subs is all about box. so depending on what you want from your sub stage you will have to decide a few things, type of bass u want, power, budget and space you are willing to sacrifice. when you figure that out you can move forward, if not you'll end up getting a mod bug with it and doing more til your happy (we all know how that goes) what type of music do you listen to the most? rock, rap, hawaiian, classical, circus accordian stuff?

I tend to listen to rock, rap, and country so a system that could handle all those would be great. I want a system where the bass isn't gonna overpower the rest of the music, I love my bass but I also wanna hear the rest of the music.
I was gonna look at maybe 1 10" with a 1500watt amp, with the best quality 6.5s i can find
I really don't know much about this stuff

im not doubting you that things have changed, its been a long time since i was big into car audio, 2 kids later all i care about is decent sound, no sq just what i think sounds decent, my neon is subless right now but sounds good on the mids and highs end for a daily driver

yeah, I got 2 kids and actually another on the way :)

sorry I got defensive. I felt like I was being persecuted lol. termlab is where it's at now, but that's just spl. sq is subjective regardless lol. so your setup tailored to suit YOUR tastes is every sense sq :) I have a diy 3 way active front stage you can see me watching my mids in the vids lol. made the pods with old work shirts. my 1st actually successful glass job. the one prior was the silver 6.5" comp set center channel, it was louder, but this one is more sq. I had an 8" in each door, but destroyed one door to do full glass and never finished it. still have the other 8" it's just in the closet lol. I had vids of my front stage on myspace. my last 8" of choice were the peerless SLS 8" those things are pretty bad. but my prep work on the door wasn't the best. I did try hard tho. just didn't do enough imo. it was ok. but should and could be better...

my front stage is actually very loud when pushed, that is actually the main complement people give me lol. not alot on the sub stage as it's not as loud as a conventional setup in a car. but my front stage not alot of people have one that loud... my 4" morel/xtant mids are on the a-pillar/dash so it's hard to beat location and the pods are well sealed and about perfect on axis response, so all in all it's a great combo as far as midrange. the midbass is good. but could be better lol. tweets, well, I have a problem with liking my xover point on the tweets low so I keep popping tweets lol this last set lasted a while but one is fading in and out now. I listen to country and rock and some of the rock screamin does numbers on the tweets since I run them active with a low xover point.

I want my front stage louder on midbass personally, it's good, but I want better. just like my sub bass. I recently aquired a set of focal utopia 4" mids I was going to pit against my morels but opted to sell them instead and turned like a $300 profit lol

post up some pix of your front stage :)

here's mine.

Peerless SLS 8" midbass drivers Video by Tom - Myspace Video

Peerless SLS 8" woofer Video by Tom - Myspace Video

Xtant xsc4.2 mid, made by morel Video by Tom - Myspace Video

I run an old school 6 channel amp with built in 3 way xover, an audio art 260.6xe, I had an audio control system 90 model 11 for my center channel previously and a zed amp before that. I've decided old school power 20-20khz rated amps (back then they were rated to do their rms power from 20-20khz as opposed to today amps even class D sub, are rated their rms at 1khz I believe, and I mean, how can they even measure 1khz accurately from a class D amp that isn't even setup to play that high? retarded lol) do a better job imo, of running front stages than new school higher rated power amps. so I've been running o/s stuff for a while on front stage stuff. I DID hook my SLS 8"s up to more power and altho it was more impressive I still think I need to do more work on the doors to get them stiffer lol we'll see, I think I'll just glass my doors for my DD LT6.5"s ported and get rediculous amounts of front bass that way. maybe switch my sub to a DD 12" I kinda liked my DD 9510f it got plenty loud off the PG X600.1 in my oversized box :D

nice pics man...looks like u had alot of fun lol. and blasterdude for mids and highs i always run zapco door speakers and amps. they have a very clean sound