My "PS3" Blaster is alive!

Colby

Sep 1, 2012
Saint Joseph, MO
Hey guys. This is a follow up to my intro thread here: http://www.blasterforum.com/introductions-8/after-5-years-i-return-50471/

Anyway, I just wanted to show you guys the progress I have made since I have owned my second blaster. Basically I posted an ad on craigslist, wondering if anyone would be willing to trade a PS3 for some cheap ATV project. A guy offered a 2001 blaster.... in pieces...

This blaster was complete, but they guy blew up the motor (ran a stock 230 jet with all the mods). Plastics are perfect, everything was there. The only catch was I had to rebuild it, and the guy literally threw all the bolts into a box. I packed everything up and headed home.

IMAG0050.jpg

IMAG0051.jpg

IMAG0053.jpg

IMAG0056.jpg

IMAG0057.jpg

The first thing I did was paint that awful hunter orange frame back to silver. After that I could begin to put it all back together. While I was doing that I had the motor taken apart and took the cylinder head down to my local yamaha dealer who does machine work. $50 for a 0.20 over bore. I bought a wiesco piston and cometic gasket set.

By the time the motor was finished at the shop I had put most of it back together except the axle. I swapped out the blaster axle for a wider banshee axle, along with a banshee brake hub. I flipped the front wheels so now it looks pretty good. Of course, new axle bearings and plenty of grease were applied to the carrier. After I put the motor in I finished up the wiring. I removed the TORS and oil injection. Finally I was ready to fire it up for the first time!

I did the recommended 3 heat cycles. Seems to run really good. I had adjusted the air screw 1 1/2 turns out before starting, and the idle was good after it got warmed up.

The only thing left to do is jetting. I bought a jet kit for that. The bike has a pro circuit exhaust and UNI air filter with no lid. Im starting with a 290 jet and it should be somewhere around 260-280 but we will see. I bought a bunch of B8es plugs I just need a nice day to get out and run it. Anyway, here is a picture of how she sits now:

IMAG0116.jpg

BTW, yes I did let some air out of the back tires. He had them at like 25 PSI all around! Its now 7 front 5 rear. They are still balloons but smaller ones now. Here is my planned mods:

- New rear tires, 20x11x8
- New handlebars, stock ones are bent a little
- Shorty rear brake cable, I broke the stock one
- 400ex rear shock, maybe banshee fronts
- raptor 350 heal guards
- Convert to 03+ front plastics

I'll keep adding my Blasters progress to this thread. Thanks for keeping this community going strong. If you didn't read my intro thread above, I actually created the site years and years ago when I had my first blaster. I sold it and sold the site as well. I would have never learned how to properly clean the cylinder after the bore, remove oil injection and TORS, or swap the banshee axle in without you guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh ya forgot the prices.

Machine work - $50
Piston/Gaskets - $130
Axle/Bearings/Hub - $104
Jet Kit & Filter - $55
Spark plugs and random stuff - $30

Lets call it $369 plus the value of the PS3 was about $250. This is my $600 blaster I guess. You guys might hate me for saying this but in the beginning I planned on trying to sell it for the profit once completed, and then try and find a 400ex for something 4 stroke. I didnt want to "mess" with having a 2 stroke. But after working on it so long and hearing it run, plus a little 1/2 throttle spin around the yard, I love this little machine and plan to keep adding things to it. It's nice to have something different.

Very nice work, green on the way.

You can safely use max 4.7psi front, 4psi rear.

Min pressure 3.8 psi front, 3.1 psi rear.

Oh ya forgot the prices.

Machine work - $50
Piston/Gaskets - $130
Axle/Bearings/Hub - $104
Jet Kit & Filter - $55
Spark plugs and random stuff - $30

Lets call it $369 plus the value of the PS3 was about $250. This is my $600 blaster I guess. You guys might hate me for saying this but in the beginning I planned on trying to sell it for the profit once completed, and then try and find a 400ex for something 4 stroke. I didnt want to "mess" with having a 2 stroke. But after working on it so long and hearing it run, plus a little 1/2 throttle spin around the yard, I love this little machine and plan to keep adding things to it. It's nice to have something different.

Blaasdiction strikes again, once you see how the little Blaster rips the thought of a 4 poke will fade.

awesome trade and work to restore it back to very nice condition colby !!!!

Looks good , that one pic i Thought the frame was copper color I was gonna say that's a first! Good job!

well if u need bars I got some and a 450r rear shock with the kor bushings to go with it I'm not going to use the since I got works shock and fly bars.
it turned out really good can't beat cheap and easy!!

well if u need bars I got some and a 450r rear shock with the kor bushings to go with it I'm not going to use the since I got works shock and fly bars.
it turned out really good can't beat cheap and easy!!

How are you liking the Fly bars? I ordered some off eBay, silver ATV bend. Can't beat it for $30. I might be interested in the 450r rear shock though. If you are willing to ship it to 64503, PM me the price with shipping.

As mentioned I ordered Fly handlebars, some scott grips, and it is all prepared for Friday when I plan to tune the carb and do some testing. It's been 30-40 degrees for the last week here in Missouri but this weekend is suppose to be about 65 so this might be one of my last chances to ride with nice whether. I will post an update when I install the new bars with some pics of how she is sitting now, and of the plug chops.

yeah man ill send u the bushings and shock for 90 shipped

It's been sitting in my garage never installed I paid 100 and 20 for the bushings prob 1 yr ago

I have one I just don't have the correct bolts to install it. The guy threw all the bolts and nuts into a cardboard box and sent me on my way. Half the battle with putting this back together was finding what bolt went where.