my hood build.

What do you use for release agent from mold? What did you make mold out of? Looks good tho. Nice thing about glass is ability to paint any color easily.

Last edited:
What do you use for release agent from mold? What did you make mold out of? Looks good tho. Nice thing about glass is ability to paint any color easily.

I never seen this post,

the mold was made with plaster I got from home depot.....

and we actually did not use any type of release agent... we just painted the mold with a thick layer of latex paint. so when we pulled the hood off it just pulled the paint off with it... worked great

If you do need a cheap release agent, I use dawn dish soap thinned out with 99% alcohol from work(the regular % will work just as well)

I am gonna tackle a hood this winter, I got a vac bag in the closet so I might try some carbon fiber. Gonna use fiberglass first though just to save money on mess ups.

It all depends, I do Special effects as a hobby and use a 50/50 for silicone molds, but for fiberglass I would just use a splash of it. So around 10:1 dawn to alcohol

gonna make another one of these tomorrow, I have been sanding on the mold for the past 2 days. this one if gonna have a scoop in it...

I put a layer of bondo auto body filler over it and polished it today, im gonna use dish soap and alcohol as a release agent like said above.

well, I destroyed all the work I did on the mold..... that thing was STUCK on there..

so back to the drawing board for the mold lol, gonna trim the hood and sand it down tomorrow..

Great hood! Rep for all the work. And as for the tank cover, I say keep the black. It gives a good sharp look for the transition between the white plastics and black seat. Now as for the Blaster..... If you make a mean hood for the Blasters, I might just have to offer you some $$$ for one. =]

started working on it again a couple days ago. gotta get some more sand paper to finish sanding it, then paint... probably black.

IMG_0687.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

looks really goood man. props! i bet your hands are sore from sandin all that sh*t haha
you should try a fiberglass air box looks like you got skills for this stuff

looks really goood man. props! i bet your hands are sore from sandin all that sh*t haha
you should try a fiberglass air box looks like you got skills for this stuff

thanks man, I have been trying to think of some other stuff to try...

airbox might be cool... got any other ideas?

i posted up a thread about a airbox and maybe a tool box under the seat. air scoops would be cool you can put a design in them. did you see the ones i make out of metal?