My first attempt.....custom bumper

it may have been by a machine not by hand i welded a swingarm at work for my boss once and some of it came out good the rest not so good also has to be completely contaminate free in my opinion

Attachments

• 2nd attempt pic 7.jpg
    2nd attempt pic 7.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 255
really?? i tried alum TIG for the first time the other day and i dont think its all that bad.....

doesnt look perfect..... but it holds good.

I can make it hold good, and the appearance isn't anything to brag about. I have a Miller Syncrowave 200 and it's mainly used for Stainless. I'm not equipped with all the proper knowledge when it comes to TIG welding aluminum. I use a brass brush and/or acetone to prep the surface to be welded. Setting balance...that's a different story.

stainless is even worse cant use a blade to cut it that's been used on regular steel or it messes up the area it touched

stainless does have it's difficulties. I have cut-off wheels and wire wheels made for stainless. They will still produce light rust. I have to use a infrared temp gun to check all welds for excessive heat during the welding process...too much heat will actually cause stainless to rust without coming in contact with carbon steel. We do a process called pickling after each weld is completely cooled.

Last edited:
Out of the 5 certs I have in welding and 16 years experience...Aluminum is the hardest by far, and something I can't seen to master to save my life. When I see a perfect aluminum weld (row of dimes) I consider that art work by a very talented fellow...then I just wipe the drool
It is def the hardest, but best looking...not to mention highest paying usually. Im going to get my aws, asme, and api as we speak.