My Custom PC Build

Triple_B

Sep 20, 2010
Sewage Drain
Some of you saw me rambling on and on about me building my computer. Well finally, I received most of my parts today and assembled it. I built this because I wanted something that I could use for gaming, video editing, animating etc. My laptop could not run more than 3 programs at once and I couldn't even launch most Steam games because my CPU would overheat. For all you computer guys out there, here are the specs:

Motherboard: Asus M5A97. This thing has amazing reviews on newegg.com, and didn't break the bank. It is an ATX mobo, and has all the features I need in a motherboard. $95

Processor: I went with an AMD Phenom II Triple Core processor. I know, 3 cores isn't much for multitasking, but there is an unlock-able 4th core that I WILL be doing when I get my RAM. Awesome reviews, great price, and included a fan. $70

Case: Cooler Master 430 Elite Series. This case had decent reviews, looked awesome, included a fan and had a great price at $50. Has a plexiglass window for admiring your work ( :p ). Doesn't have really any room for cable management but I don't mind!

Power Supply: Ultra 650 watt. Ultra had amazing reviews on TigerDirect, and was very affordable. I was going to get the 750 but I think the 650 is still overkill. It suits my needs and I can still upgrade components with the power supply. Has a million power connectors for all sorts of stuff and was only $55

RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu 8 GB (2 x 4gb). 37 5 star reviews on Newegg and a $43 price tag was enough for me! 8GB will be plenty for what my intended use of the computer.

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5770. I actually didn't buy this, I traded one of my friends for it. He wanted a BMX bike and I needed a graphics card. I had an Eastern Cobra BMX bike that I hadn't used in a year that I gave to him for the graphics card and $30! Deal worked out great! ($170 new)

Optional Features I added:

DVD Burner: Asus 24X Burner. Great reviews for a great price. Great addition to the build and I will be using it a lot!

22 in 1 Card Reader. I have a lot of electronics with various different cards so I needed something that could read all of them. This was an awesome addition to the build and was only $16!

I have yet to purchase a Hard Drive for the following reasons:
My laptop has a 500gb Toshiba that has not failed me yet and has ALL my stuff on it + Windows 7. It uses regular SATA power and SATA 3.0 connectors so I will be able to connect it right to my motherboard. I also have a spare 80 GB HDD from an old computer that my dad had at work.

Also, the video I attached shows the PC without the RAM installed. That is because I just ordered the RAM yesterday. It should be here very soon. I cannot WAIT to use the computer for the first time.

Here's the video:

I know, the plexiglass is dirty. I will clean it :D

And it may sound noisy, that is because I took a 120mm exhaust fan from an old computer out and put it on my PC as an exhaust. There was no exhaust fan originally and I needed one. I will be buying more fans (quieter ones) eventually since the case holds 6 I:I

ALSO! Some of you may be thinking the Blue LED's is way too bright. Well that is because I added a 24 led strip in the case. I just wired it to a Molex connector from my PSU. I can turn them off whenever I want, they are not permanent

Let me know what you guys think!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds awesome.

I use to build my pwn a few years, ago was fun doing, and in the end I knew what I had and i felt they ran better than store bought computer.

Sporty

Sounds awesome.

I use to build my pwn a few years, ago was fun doing, and in the end I knew what I had and i felt they ran better than store bought computer.

Sporty
Yup! This build only cost me around $550 and can outperform most store bought computers. My laptop was $1200 but this custom PC will out perform the laptop any day of the week I:I

Very similiar to my last build, i had most parts,hard drives, power supply,sweet case and a huge copper thermaltek fan and heatsink.
i too went with the same triple core and 8 gig of ram,It is a huge upgrade over my old dual core with 4 gig.Hope you enjoy, i know i do mine.The only issue is the fourth core is only unlockable with some motherboards,mine is not compatible for that.
I think total cost for my build was around $245 out of pocket.I don't game but i do stream video to my Television,i skimped on the vid card.
Sux i can't unlock the fourth core with my mobo but i can overclock,never do tho.3 cores is plenty at 3.1ghz

Sound nice triple_b, we have some similar specs:D Mine also costed about $550. I love it, it's way better than my iMac! Building a computer is fun and i look foward to some more pic's, vids.

quite the little builder you've become BBB
blasters, stirling engines, rc airplanes, now PC's !!!!!!

Very similiar to my last build, i had most parts,hard drives, power supply,sweet case and a huge copper thermaltek fan and heatsink.
i too went with the same triple core and 8 gig of ram,It is a huge upgrade over my old dual core with 4 gig.Hope you enjoy, i know i do mine.The only issue is the fourth core is only unlockable with some motherboards,mine is not compatible for that.
I think total cost for my build was around $245 out of pocket.I don't game but i do stream video to my Television,i skimped on the vid card.
Sux i can't unlock the fourth core with my mobo but i can overclock,never do tho.3 cores is plenty at 3.1ghz

Yeah, my laptop right now has an Intel Dual Core with 4gbs of ram. I look forward to the performance of my new PC I:I Luckily the motherboard I bought is compatible to unlock the 4th core:D

Sound nice triple_b, we have some similar specs:D Mine also costed about $550. I love it, it's way better than my iMac! Building a computer is fun and i look foward to some more pic's, vids.

I agree, building it was very fun. I was done with it in like 2 hours. Very easy to build and all my components worked together. I will take more pics and videos. I used my webcam to take that video so the quality sucks.

I thought by "PC" you meant "Powder Coat"..... God dang nerds..... lol jk very cool man.

Hahahaha, what the heck is a "Custom Powder Coat Build"? LOL

quite the little builder you've become BBB
blasters, stirling engines, rc airplanes, now PC's !!!!!!

Thanks bro. I love doing this stuff. Hopefully I can find a career that I can do this stuff in I:I

sounds awesome! maybe u can join me in some games!

the only thing that dosetn sound too good is the AMD processor. i/we have pretty bad luck with all amd's

u could have ggooten a intel i5 quad core. for probs the same price. but my opinion.

i have an i3 dual core 4 threads in my laptop clocked at 2.40GHZ, and its plenty power for all my games and everything. but my graphics card on the other hand. i wish i could upgrade that, but its built into the mother board. so i cant. i still want an i5 tho :D

That's sweet u get to unlock core 4,i wish i could just to see what happens,i am more than happy with 3 . I stay 1-2 years behing on PC stuff,too cheap to buy the up to date newest thing,never been that type either,That's why i love my Blaster and my 1985 suzuki GS1150.

Sounds pretty good! Asus motherboards are the best if you can budget them. I've built two cheap computers now for some people that play everything on high and cost $400 or less.

First one:
Gigabyte motherboard
AMD 3.22GHz quad-core cpu
Radeon HD6770
Diablotek 450W PSU
4GB Kingston RAM
2 Fans + CPU fan

Second:
MSI Motherboard
AMD 2.8GHZ quad-core cpu
Radeon 6770HD
4GB Kingston RAM